Engine Swap

$uperman

I can get my hands on a chevy s10 with a 4.3 and a standard transmission for real cheap ($250) Everything works and runs but he ran it down a tree and just wants it out of the yard... Its not EFI but a carb isn't that bad I guess. Has anyone here used a 4.3 in a jeep before? If so, can I use the jeep transmission or do I have to use the chevy? [addsig]

it depends, if your jeep is a manual, then you have the AX5 transmission, which is crap and not worth reusing so you're better off with the chevy transmission, if you've got a auto check with www.advancedadapters.com they can give you information on the conversion bellhousing you'll need, if you go with the chevy transmission you'll also need to check out that site to find the adapter so that it hooks up to your t-case...no doubt you got a good deal on an engine and transmission, but for what the conversion is going to cost you in terms of time and money you might want to consider going with a small block v8...more power...argh argh argh
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Howdy. Never have done an engine swap...however from what I've heard, the 4.3 is a legit motor. It's basically the same as a the V-8, just cut down into a 6cyl. Rumors of great torque and power follow. For the price it sounds like a deal.[addsig]

does a carberated 4.3 even make much more hp than the four.

Likely it has more torque but without the efi you run into lack

of fuel during steep inclines. A great add on for the four

cylinder would be an inertia ring. It add lots of low end power,

lose a little on the top, but ian macfarlane is a total fuck up. I

hope he goes to jail. Tri county gear sells 9 pound inertia rings

for around $150. Just a different suggestion. They run it on

"rock star" their RCAA competition rig, with a 4 cyl. and an ax-5.[addsig]

Thanks, I had never even heard of an inertia ring before. Sounds alot cheaper than an engine swap. Do you know about how much of a difference it makes?[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>he doesnt have an ax-5 w/ a 97 does he...??
image-missing.png
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

The ax5 was and is the only manual transmission used behind a 2.5L in a Wrangler, YJ and TJ.[addsig]

Oh, and don't waste your time with the 4.3L unless you get the fuel injected Vortec 4.3L, otherwise you're just going backwards in technology and getting an unreliable carb that may not stay running at angles.

Regear the axles to regain lost performance after adding larger tires. The inertia ring is $129 from www.tricountygear.com and will help the engine maintain momentum when you encounter an obstacle. It will do NOTHING to improve your performance on the street, unless you count hopping curbs at the mall
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I had a non vortec 4.3 in my Blazer... it whooped ass... I would surely swap it for a 2.5 without thikning twice.[addsig]

Hell yeah snitty....I had a 94 chevy short wide with the Vortech 4.3 and it did whoop ass...that thing had a lot of cohones. While not a 350...it still did pretty good...I could burn my tires a little. My 4.3 (94) was rated at 210HP while the 350 of the same year was about 235. It also got wayyy better gas mileage than the 350's as well. Mine was fuel injected...but not MPI...it had a throttle body...I think the MPI ones started in 95 or 96.[addsig]

Mine was TBI as well... That damn thing would not, could not, did not, and will not ever stop... when i sold it... it had 270,000 miles on it... and i still see it driving around all the time... still beating the road up... I say put it in[addsig]

--about the inertia ring--

Go to www.jeepshots.com. This guy installed one on his 97 tj

4cyl. At the time he ran dana 44's front and rear, 4.56's with

an ax-5, np231, and 36" tsl sx's. He was able to chirp them

in second gear and claim no usable horsepower was lost.

At lower rpms the ring helps the motor turn over easier using

its own momentum. Its similar to a heavy flywheel, nine pounds

heavier! plus he has a full install write on them for 4 cylinders.[addsig]

Back