engine swap question

hello everyone.im rick and i have a question. i have an 87 jeep yj it is automatic and a very weak carborated 6 cylinder.i would like to swap the engine for something better. what carborated engine would i be looking for?without getting into much work wiring, engine mounts exhaust. please can enyone help? the new guy rick.

If you have the 258 motor. You might consider making a stoker out of it. To me that would be the easiest.

I'd stay with the 258, add an Offenhouser intake manifold and Motorcraft 2100 carb. The AMC 258 is a great engine, lots of low end torque, and they are good for 200K plus miles if you take care of them. I think the I6s are the best all around motors ever put in a jeep.

You could be loosing power to the goofy pollution control system on an 87, hard to keep all the leaks plugged. Also, there are some electrical issues. Depending upon you local pollution control requirements maybe the Nutter Bypass will make a difference. Try this-

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/electrical/jn-ignition99/

Last edited:
thank you for the information people. i will try anything at this point.but like i said the engine is weak and it knocks:bomb:.so without rebuilding it i would still consider an engine swap but for what engine.thanks again rick ps.what ford engine would i find this motorcraft 2100 carb off of.

Last edited:

Rick, below I put a link in to the engine I just put in a few months ago. I thought my 258 was pretty worn out as well. I got myself a brand spankin' new NV3550 transmission and this... 87-90 Jeep 258 / Jeep 4.2 Engine (Part #: JEEP-258LB-6)
I was able to get all of that crazy wiring, tubing, and emissions stuff together and working, and the thing runs like a top, and I'm running 33s...up hill...accelerating from 45... in 5th gear.

Back