Electric choke ping/diesel with Weber carb

84_CJ7

Found this forum a few days ago and man, what have I been missing! Here is my dilemma. I have an 84 CJ7 258 that has been modified by removing the Carter carb and all of the smog/computer hoses, connections , etc. and put in a Weber. Everything was great for a while (weeks?) but gas mileage (10 mpg) got terrible and it began dieseling at every shut off. Checked fuel, pressure, vacuum with no considerable finds or improvements. Finally took it to my mechanic and told him to have a look. he found that the relay that controls the choke wasn't working. Changed it, set timing and it ran better than new (except top end was about 65 mph). Drove it for a couple of days and it is starting to diesel and ping again. Now here is something interesting that I believe is tied to the problem. My horn was not working when I took it to my mechanic and it was working when I picked it up. Just for yucks I tried the horn when my problems started again and the horn was not working. Is the horn tied to this relay in some way? Does this sound like a short? Can I get power to the choke by bypassing this relay?
This is a CLEAN 2-owner Jeep with 82K. No rat nests, fires, wrecks. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Scott[addsig]

Sounds like you have a serious short. Unfortunatly I would tend to guess it is a problem contained with in the fuse center. I do not know a whole lot about CJ's, but some vehicles will have either 1 or 2 fuse locations. Where as you have a older vehicle, I would guess that the relay for the choke is located under the dash, as well as the relay for the horn. (your horn should have a relay, when you press the horn button, it is a negitive trigger that grounds out a relay, sending a positive signal to the actual horn.) My first idea of solution would be to have the entire system checked out! If that is to expensive or if you believe the problem to be something else, purcahse a manual choke kit and install that and see if it solves the problem!

Welcome to the board, hope to hear more about your rig as time comes
Johnny[addsig]

i have been told that the electric choke only has to be "key hot". I have mine spliced off of some wire that was key hot that i found by testing wires. no problems yet. hope it helps.[addsig]

Well I think I have solved my problem. It was almost too simple and I'm afraid to get too confident about it but it worked. I regrounded the horn. That's it! Horn works, no pings or dieseling AND the guages that had the sporatic needle movements have stopped. I would love to see a wiring schematic to find the common ground with this simple connection. I am no longer hooked to the ECM since installing the Weber and have removed many connections and wires and vacuum lines. Maybe there is some clue hidden there.
Thanks for the replies and hope this helps someone else out there scratching their head.

Scott[addsig]

Back