does the oil pressure sender connect to the ECU?

erica

Got a bad oil pressure sender in my 94 XJ, 4.0L auto. I have an Autometer mechanical oil pressure gauge I had been planning on installing sitting in the garage. If I just yank the stock pressure sender, and connect the mechanical gauge line there, am I going to be affecting anything beyond the factory dash gauge no longer working? i.e., does the ECU take readings from the stock sender?

I just did the same thing in my TJ after the sending unit went out. I never trusted the factory gauge anyway, so I went with a mechanical. The only thing that happened was that the "check gauges" light came on, so I'm going to yank that bulb. I don't see you having any problems.

If you pull out the factory sender put in a T fitting and put the Autometer sender on one side the factory on the other, you will have no problems with idiot lights and two functioning oil pres. gauges and you laugh like a school girl over how misleading the factory gauge is.

Junkpile said:
I just did the same thing in my TJ after the sending unit went out. I never trusted the factory gauge anyway, so I went with a mechanical. The only thing that happened was that the "check gauges" light came on, so I'm going to yank that bulb. I don't see you having any problems.

I don't think I even have a check gauges light in my Jeep. The couple times the oil pressure went to zero, and temp pegged I never had any lights come on, plus there's a seperate low fuel light. So I should be good to go on that front.

jnjncj2 said:
you will have no problems with idiot lights and two functioning oil pres. gauges

I don't consider the existing gauge to be functional, and I already knew the factory gauge was no where close to accurate, but I figured it was at least an OK way to know if the pressure was OK or low. At this point, I don't intend on replacing the sensor, and would be perfectly happy with just one good gauge.

Back