Could someone post a picture of their ignition switch (cj7)

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I have installed my ignition switch upside down on my CJ (turn it to off and she tries to start). I think the problem is with the mechanical switch (looks like the blue ones in the photo below:

image-missing.png

I just can't remember how to mount it correctly. I think that it just bolts to the column directly.

Terry

I seem to remember mentioning to you a while back that I thought you had installed it backwards. The other thing to check is that it is the right switch. The switch for a tilt-wheel may be different. The other thing is that you have to manually slide the switch mechanism to a certain position before mounting and inserting the rod. I can't remember what that position is off-hand but it makes a BIG difference. Instructions should have come with the switch as to the position of the slider and of the key position. This allows the key and the switch to get in sync.
The switches in your picture are how they should mount on the column as you face it.

Scott

I just finished replacing mine and I think 84CJ7 is right, you should check to make sure you have the right switch. I don't think you can install those backwards in a manner that will do what yours is doing, unless you have bent the mounting bracket on the switch itself.

Sounds like you have the wrong switch. I believe that the switch in the middle of your picture is for a standard column.

This info is for a standard column - tilt would be exactly opposite.

The slider positions are from left to right -

ACCESSORY
OFF-LOCK
OFF
ON
START

All positions have a detent except start which is spring loaded to release when the key is released.

To install the switch move the slider to the extreme left (ACCESSORY).
Position the actuator rod in the slider hole and install the switch on the column, being careful not to move the slider out of the ACCESSORY detent.
Hold the key in the ACCESSORY position and slide the switch to take up the slack and then tighten the attaching screws.
Plug it back in and put your cover on.

Hope this helps

Scott

Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure that I have the switch on the left mounted to my non-tilt column. That would explain why it was so hard to install....

Thanks again.

terrymason said:
Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure that I have the switch on the left mounted to my non-tilt column. That would explain why it was so hard to install....

Thanks again.
I hope it fires right up for you on the install. The switch was fresh on my mind because I had just put one in a GMC Safari. Way too much work for such a simple switch!

Scott

question on a pair of axles...

Well guys, I finally got it fixed. I bought two switches to make sure that I got the right one, and verified it against the picture above, but it still didn't work. So I finally went a bought a switch for a tilt steering wheel, and it works fine.

So...my non tilt 85 Jeep needs a tilt steering ignition switch to work...

go figure.

terrymason said:
Well guys, I finally got it fixed. I bought two switches to make sure that I got the right one, and verified it against the picture above, but it still didn't work. So I finally went a bought a switch for a tilt steering wheel, and it works fine.

So...my non tilt 85 Jeep needs a tilt steering ignition switch to work...

go figure.
If you bought this CJ used, I wonder if it had previously been tilt? I try not to be surprised anymore - just live and learn - and REMEMBER (so I don't go through the same problem twice). Glad you got it worked out.

Scott

Back