CJ7 fuel?

STEW

Hi All
I live in the U.K and have recently purchased a CJ7. It's a 1983, 258 straight six 4.2 litre.
The problem i have is that the guy that i bought it from said it ran on leaded fuel and i was under the impression that all CJ7's were unleaded.
Can anyone help me out here?

Cheers
Stew:???:

My 83 with the 6 in it was unleaded but there may be a difference if yours was originally sold in the UK

My jeep came from the states and is left hand drive. This is the fith one that i have had and i have never had one than ran on leaded.
Tried to do some research with books etc, and they seem to point to the fact that CJ7's are unleaded i just don't understand why this guy believes that this one runs on leaded, maybe he was misinformed when he got it.
We can't buy leaded over here anymore so at present i have been using an additive, but the last time i filled up, i used less than recommended and the jeeps running great.......just don't want to damage the engine, it's only done 70,000 miles.
I read somewhere that they converted a couple of CJ's to run on leaded to complete a trip (similar to the rubicon trail) because at the time there was a petrol shortage, but that was a one off..:?

I didn't think they made any vehicles that ran on leaded gas after the late 70's, but I could be wrong....I'm getting old, and that was a looooonggggg time ago!!

firemanharry said:
Does it have the restrictor in the fuel filler neck?

Do you mean a smaller size......yeah it does seem to be the ridght size for an unleaded nozzle, it's just that i can't remember whether my other jeeps were smaller or the same size.
Most of the jeeps i have owned had a fuel cap that said unleaded, but this one seems to have an after market one

On my 78, it wasn't written on the fuel cap. It was written in white letters on the black plastic shroud that surrounds the fuel filler neck. The white may be gone, but the stenciling should still be there.
An 83 model will be unleaded if sold in the States.

Leaded nozzles were larger and would'nt fit in an unleaded fuel filler so if the nozzles of today fit snugly in your Jeep then I would say it was manufactured to run on unleaded gasoline.

I checked out the VIN, and it seems my CJ started life as a 2.5 auto...It is now a 4.2 manual?????:?

That's what the VIN check threw back at me, when i entered my details?

Back