Center Console Replacement

Special_K

Hey All,

I've had the OEM center console for quite some time and I've been fine with it. The lid recently broke so I either need to get a replacement lid (~$10 used) from a used Jeep parts store or I could upgrade the whole console.

If I upgrade, I was considering the Tuffy Stereo Security Console (~$240). After owning my YJ for almost 9 years with virtually no theft someone stole my beloved stereo in Jan (only one other instance occured less than a year ago when they took some clothing, hiking boots, etc.). I've since replaced the $500 stereo with an equally expensive Alpine CD/MP3 player. My thoughts are:

* CONS: I like the mostly OEM look of my YJ interior...though I've added many accessories over the years, I've gone out of my way to stay true to the original interor look; Expensive...I could technically live with what I've had for nearly 9 years by getting an old lid in good condition
* PROS: More security, theoretically; more peace of mind; better water protection

Anyone got any other opinions/experiences with this console. Any recommendations?

Keep the stock radio in the dash for looks, and b/c thieves don't want it anyway. Then put the real radio in the Tuffy. I have one and really like having the radio right there in the armrest.

I love the Tuffy, it's easy to change stations on the radio, and it's great for weather. I'm in Hawaii right now and leave my top off all the time and have no problem with the water, especially if you use the weather stripping that comes with the console. With all the rain beating down on it, I think I've had one rust spot show up, and that was fixed in 5 minutes. Everyone can hear the music and no one knows where the stereo is, even my closest friends. Just make sure you oil up the lock mech like Tuffy suggests, mine needs it about once every 6 months, and I've had the console for over 2 years.

Back