CB mounting

My cb is just a cheapo from Radio Shack and is very small and thin so I just mounted under the dash right next to the cig lighter/ashtray combo. I mounted my antenna to the tire stop as well. I don't know too much about radio stuff but I think this antenna that I have came from an FM?UHF?VHF? (just know its not a CB...its made by Johnson) radio transciever that was my dads...I had a CB in my truck but I ripped the antenna off one day while wheelin and it was lost and just havent gotten a new one....will the FM antenna work for now? Will it toast my CB? It picks up stuff but I'm not sure about how good the range or if it transmits at all. Just a question for you HAM guys.[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>....will the FM antenna work for now? Will it toast my CB? It picks up stuff but I'm not sure about how good the range or if it transmits at all. Just a question for you HAM guys.</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

The antenna really needs to be for use on a C.B. It has to be the correct wave length. Now they do make antennas that are combo CB/FM that you replace your stock FM antenna with. Not sure how good these work. But yes if you use a standard FM antenna you risk damage to the radio. I would say not to use it that way unless it is in the case of an emergency. [addsig]

I am taking the easy way out and just taking the Classic CB back

and getting a 75 WX ST now I will have no problems getting it to fit.

image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png

Thanks for all the help and advice,

INtj[addsig]

The antenna is not an FM (like car radio FM) antenna. I checked out the radio and its a VHF transciever...just like a CB but operates on VHF frequencies. Its kind of a specialty radio...I dont even know if you can change the frequency on it...think its built in. The radio is old though...probably late 70's early 80's.[addsig]

Also if you're worried about mounting the CB you can always get that Cobra CB that's all in one. The 75-WX-ST like you said go here I hear that these aren't that bad for talkin while wheelin. Plus all you need is the mic mount!

As far as antenna's I bought a 4' firestik on eBay for like $15. Now I just need to take my CB in and get it "turbo'd" so I can get better range.[addsig]

If cost is a factor.

We have several wheelers that even use hand helds.

Understanding the range is limited, they work just fine.

Usually (If your smart) you wheel in groups, and If needed, you can relay messages.[addsig]

Hey morgster.....I never noticed the interior design change over the YJ years (besides the needles). I wish my 95 had a clock in it...instead all my guages are pushed over and one is my 4wd indicator.[addsig]

You've got me there.

I thought all the YJ's were the same too.

My 4wd indicator is a light above the steering wheel, between the spedo and tach.

(Isn't life great, always learning)
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Hmm...thats where my parking brake indicator and shift indicator (manual trans) are at...my 4wd indicator is where your oil pressure guage is.[addsig]

RayOvac, Sounds like you have an old 2meter radio.Crystal controlled. Or a "public service" radio. CB frequencies are HF,11 meters or 27mhz.(26.995mhz ch1 to 27,405mhz, ch40) VHF = Very High Frequency, and UHF = Ultra High Frequency

The frequency range for VHF starts at 144Mhz (2 meter) and ends around 178mhz (meter band ends at 148MHZ) Most police and fire frequencies are in the VHF band near 154-156MHZ area (in my neck of the wood)

UHF frequencies start at 440MHZ (440 band or 70cm band for HAM) and go up to somewhere around 540MHZ (440 to 444MHZ for the 440 HAM band) These frequency band limits are listed with the papers that come with scanners BTW.

To answere you question about using your CB on the Johnson antenna. No your CB probably won't transmit at all, it'll recieve signals ok, but because the antenna is not "tuned" to 11 meters or the 27Mhz band, all the power (all 4watts of it) generated in the "final" of the radio will not be able to leave the radio, and just sit inside the final, causing it to get really really hot and burn it up. Once you let the smoke out of the radio, it won't work again until repaired.

Go to Radio Shack and get a cheapy 1/4 wave CB mag mount, slap it on the body somewhere and connect the caox to the CB. In it's untuned position, it'll work better than the VHF antenna.

To maximaze the "range" you can talk (maybe 2 miles at best) have the antenna tuned at a CB shop near you. Shouldn't cost to much, or perhaps some friends may have the equipment to do it. It's really not hard, once you've seen it done, or done it.

[addsig]

I mounted mine below the glove box and the 102 steel whip on the pasenger side rear bumper, my buddy mounted his in the same place and the 102 on the spare tire carrier. As for my 125 watt "kicker" I mounted it on the transmission hump behind the emergency brake. I can get about 30 mile range on a decent night and about 50 miles on a great night. [addsig]

Thanks alot jprtroy for shedding some light on my delimma. I'm glad I asked before I burned up my radio. Once I get my jeep running again I'll get me a good CB antenna. Thanks Again.[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE> As for my 125 watt "kicker" I mounted it on the transmission hump behind the emergency brake. I can get about 30 mile range on a decent night and about 50 miles on a great night. </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I can get that range or better almost any night without the amp and a stock radio. besides its not worth getting nailed using the amp. I have a little more to lose like my radio license. It always amazed me that guys around here would need 100 watts or more and all they did was talk across town
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I was riding shotgun one day while two of my friends were arguing whose cb was stronger while trying to call a home base station 25+ miles away. I finally got tired of it. So to put this to rest, I picked up my cell phone and called. Funny thing was they couldn't understand either of them.
image-missing.png
I vote for cell phones.[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>I was riding shotgun one day while two of my friends were arguing whose cb was stronger while trying to call a home base station 25+ miles away. I finally got tired of it. So to put this to rest, I picked up my cell phone and called. Funny thing was they couldn't understand either of them.
image-missing.png
I vote for cell phones.</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah cell phones are great there is only 1 problem with them. There are some areas where it is near impossible or sometimes impossible to get a signal. No signal=no communication. Plus in the event of an emergency where the may be a power outages and lines down the cell just wont make it.

Guess thats why us hams pride ourselves on being able to be ready at a moments notice to set up and run emergency communications.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Show of hands please, who has been caught using a kicker? And I do use it for more than talking across town, my dad is a truck driver and sometimes I need to get ahold of him per what you said about cell phones and dead zones. Sometimes he is 40 miles away. Also, truck drivers generally don't run HAM radio in the trucks. Plus HAM radio is expensive to get into to, radio, lic, ant, etc. $100 and you can have a fully functional cb. [addsig]

Back