Backfiring and stalling coming to a stop

Is it possible that it was water in the fuel? While this was going on I was at 1/8th tank and after I filled up it stopped.

yes, its possible. you could also have a hole in your pick up tube and it is not sending good fuel

Well I'll keep it above 1/8th tank and we will see what happens. Thanks for all the info guys.

replacing the oil sending unit will not help a stalling problem. In the above post, I think he was talking about the fuel pump pick up tube.

I have an 86 CJ7 . It is virtually the same. I had the exact problem. A vac. line was laying near the exhaust and got brittle and broke. It is well worth replacing all vac lines. when they get old and brittle they break EASY.

I've been keeping my fuel above 1/8th tank and I haven't had any problems but this weekend I am replacing all vac lines (even the good looking ones). So I hope this will be the end of that issue.

I would run as much gas out of it as you could and drain the rest of your tank out, and put fresh in. I had to empty my float bowl on the carb before because I got water in my tank and sucked it up to the carb. Happened more than once, and found I had a big crack in my vent hose to the filler. Everytime I went wheeling and crossed deep water I got it in my tank.

Happens at 1/8 tank and not at when full or above that. Fuel pick could be.. What about the guage itself IE: reading higher than what the tank actually has? Maybe your lower on gas and it's starving for fuel (running lean) and so thats the cause of the back firing?

I have questioned my fuel gauge since I got the jeep (3 weeks ago). I drained the tank 3 days ago and I did find some water so I'm hoping that was the problem but I guess time will tell.

Look at your filler hoses closely to make sure they are not cracked. I have seen that on more than just jeeps. My friends explorer had a cracked filler hose and couldnt figure out why fuel spilled everywhere when he put gas in it, (duh!). You could have just goten some bad gas. Hope its fixed!

Back