Auto Transmission not downshifting ???

jj2000bc

I just bought a Jeep Cherokee 89 with a 4 liter, fuel injected, 4 speed auto.

Problem..... when i step on the gas in Drive it comes up the gears too fast and then when you have it floored it does not downshift. I cheaked the TV cable and it is adjusted properly according to the Haynes manual.

Any suggestions.[addsig]

my first step would be to flush the transmission fluid, and change the filter. might loosen something up to let the torque converter do its thing or something. auto transmissions have always been a mystery to me. how many miles are on it?[addsig]

Look at the fluid...it should be nice and clear red...and shouldnt stink...I recommend that you take it to a reputable trans shop for analysis..if the fluid looks and smells good and there is no slipping or chattering most likely it is something simple...like maybe the cable has come loose from the link it pulls on inside the transmission??? Sorry i cant be more help...im used to those old dinosaur 3 speeds.. :-D

Dawg[addsig]

There are 260,000 km on the Cherokee. What manual should i get for the transmission? is there a manual online?

Thanks for the help. I'm going to try to change oil and the filter on the Transmission.

There is no slipping or chattering either, just to let ya know. the fluid is not completely clear. It's hard to smell it, but it has some odor.... not sure.[addsig]

just a simple haynes manual will be good enough to guide you through changing your transmission fluid. i'd suggest FLUSHING rather than just changing (changing won't get all the cruddy fluid out)... because the torque converter holds a lot of fluid that won't drain out just by draining the fluid. but flushing i beleive you need to take it to a shop. if you cant afford a shop, change it once (drain and refill), then drive a few minutes, then change it again (adding new fluid each time)

-nate[addsig]

Back