Arb air locker install?

jeepdude832

Bearings, balljoints, and cv's oh my

Here is the problem The local shop that installs arbs only installs ones they sell, this rules out gettin one on ebay for 400 bucks. Then they want 70 bucks an hour to install them with 14 hours total. Are they that hard to install that they should be done professionally or what.

Not something I would tackle, but I'm sure there will be plenty here that would. What garage are you referring to, E.C.O.H.?

hell nooooo a complets install on an axle shouldnt be that much.... thats alot of labor.... the only hard thing is settin gup back lash for the ring and pinion. well at least thats what i think the hardest is.

Call East Coast Off Road in Harford County for a quote, or there's a 4x4 shop in Glen Burnie that I can't seem to remeber the name of, Maryland 4x4 maybe?

I'd be makin some calls before I put out that kind of coin!!!

there are two things you have to do when installing any type of locker.
One is setting the engagement of the ring and pinion gear. Dykem blue-ing is used to see where the gears mesh.
Second is shimming the locker housing with a dial indacator so you get .051-.070 worth of backlash. Improperly setting either of these will destroy your locker and R/P gears.
A satandard off road shop ( called two localy) will qoute 5 hours per axle. or 250$.
Let your fingers do the walking and call around!
Me thinks your shop is trying to take you for a ride

They wanna bend you over the table! 14hrs? If thats for both axles maybe (that's streching too). I can have my D30 stripped in under 2 hrs! Less time 10yrs ago! (lol) and my rear axle out and axles on the ground in 1.5hr!
As far as the locker install, I don't have the knowledge or tools (got the manual) One of the bearing caps needs to be drilled for the copper air line. If your comfortable working on differentials,and know the in's & out of setting them up, then you could probably do it.

Back