96 Cherokee

Will

Why would or what would cause a transmission to slip after changing the fluid and filter.I'm looking at one and this is what I was told by the owner.

It was burnt up. There was enough clutch material in the old fluid to keep it limping along. Once he drained it all out. All the particles went with it. Or fluid level is way to low. You need to drive it and see. If it is delayed engagement or If its slipping. Delayed engagement can be a improper installed filter or filter o ring. You can narrow that down by dumping an extra liter or two in it and drive it. Etc. lots can cause slipping usually it's burnt up.

It was probably changed because it was slipping in the first place and thought changeing it would help and with that many miles i would say its gone

He may have put the wrong fluid in. ATF +4 will do that in an AW4 because it's too thick to flow well.

carnuck said:
He may have put the wrong fluid in. ATF +4 will do that in an AW4 because it's too thick to flow well.

I run atf4 in my 2 aw4 and it loves it. It is actually thinner when cold and maintains it viscosity better than previous atfs. better friction modifiers, lubricity agents, detergents, cold weather performance. All around it rocks. I use it in all my Chevy race transmissions. And recommend it to anyone with an older chrysler

Back