88 YJ Clutch

RVWillie

Installed a new clutch with throwwout. Had the flywheel turned. bled the slave til clean fluid and no air. Clutch engauges at about 1/2 inch off the floor, is hard to get into 1st, and has very little foot pressure. Do I need a new flywheel? Does it need to be shimed? Is it just not bled out good enough? If not how is the best way to do it? :-? [addsig]

I have an 87 YJ and just went through all of this maddness. I have an AX5 transmission and it has an internal slave. Sound failiar or forign. If this what you have I hope you went ahead and changed the slave while you were in there. I had mine bleed the way you said and it was like you said after a day or two of driveing it got better. I bleed mine everyday for a couple of days and now it is fine. My clutch is 1/2" off the floor and is ez to engauge as well. hope this helped and good luck. Tug :cool: [addsig]

It needs bled some more. Bleed it best you can, then run it for a while and see if it improves as some air in the line works it's way out and into the clutch master cylinder.[addsig]

Thanks, it does have an internal slave and I did instal new one so I'll just keep after it.[addsig]

Just a question. did you have someone help you bleed off the brakes? and how much did you bleed out of the system.

I kept refilling mine for about a half of a liter of fluid just to get rid of all the bubbles. it works great after that. [addsig]

I give you props for messing with the clutch. I have a 91 which also have the internal slave and it needed a new clutch, flywheel, master and slave. I didnt even mess with it. I usually always work on everything on my rigs or I give it a try. Not the clutch though.

I had the "Clutch Doctors" put a ProGold stage 3 clutch in my YJ and I love it. Drive good, grabs hard, and shifts nice. Good luck to you.
(600.00 dollars later) ;-) I know that I got screwed...[addsig]

Back