87 wrangler stuck in gear

allabs5150

Ok hope you guys can help me out.

As mentioned above it an 87 Wrangler stock 4.2 and transmission.
Yesterday after driving several miles on and off road I started experiancing problems getting the jeep to go into 1st gear, and the cluth started feeling a bit soft, eventually it would not go into gear at all, and was stuck at an intersection. After a bit I was able to some how force it into 4th gear and get myself out of the road. Now the problem is it is stuck in 4th and could not get it out of gear with the jeep ruing or the egnition off.

I have never had any time of transmission problems with this Jeep so for something to happen this sudden seems strange.....Any thoughts or help would be greatly appriciated.......

PS just in case....anyone with a used transmission for an 87 4.2 jeep for sale drop me a email at allabs5150@yahoo.com

Well for one, your synchro's could've gone bad, mine are getting there. I can feel it in the shifter.
But being stuck in 4th and still not being able to get it out after the motor has been turned off beats me. Unless that's still another problem with the synchro's going out.

Thanks for the info Eric........Ya I was thinking syncros too!!! maybe I bent something when I forced it into gear, or a piece of the syncro got jammed someplace in the transmission

Your welcome.
I mean, I don't know if that's the actual problem, but that's just my assumption. But it seems like synchro's..

I don't know if my story will help but what the hay............

About 6 months after i got my TJ the shifting started getting harder and harder until one day it stuck in 4th and i had to pull over and phone a friend for help.
I took the front part of my console off and boot and saw the problem.
The aluminum plate that holds the the shifter assembly was missing 3 bolts and the 4th was just barely hanging on!!
I managed to find one of the bolts sitting on top of the transmission and unstuck the transmission with a screwdriver i had.
I put the two bolts back in and tightened them and went home to fix it all properly.

so ya...check yer shifter plate on top of the transmission.....never know.

Neo:rolleyes:

I don't know if my story will help but what the hay............

About 6 months after i got my TJ the shifting started getting harder and harder until one day it stuck in 4th and i had to pull over and phone a friend for help.
I took the front part of my console off and boot and saw the problem.
The aluminum plate that holds the the shifter assembly was missing 3 bolts and the 4th was just barely hanging on!!
I managed to find one of the bolts sitting on top of the transmission and unstuck the transmission with a screwdriver i had.
I put the two bolts back in and tightened them and went home to fix it all properly.

so ya...check yer shifter plate on top of the transmission.....never know.

Neo:rolleyes:

Thanks for the info!!

That was the first thing I did once I got off to the side of the road I took the shifter boot off and all looked fine....well other than the shifter being locked in 4th gear......so as the story of my life goes it seems I need to replace the clutch....never an easy fix for me

Ok got my Jeep up and running again actually a few weeks back, but I wanted to at least let you guys know what the problemo was.

Apparently there is something hydraulic in the cluth set up that went bad I ended up replacing clutch, press. plate, and the hydraulic part, which I still call a throw out bearing..........anyways problem solved

Back