81' 258 wiring

Primer

Hey guys.. im in the process of building a 258.. i bought this project from a guy down the street.. It came almost bare body and frame w/ a 258 .. i see on the dist. it has a plug w/ i think 3 conectors.. from what i have read this goes to the Duraspark module.. but i dont have one.. does anyone know if i can get a diff. distributor and not have the duraspark? maybe upgrade to MSD or something.. also.. can someone tell me what all i need to wire up to get it running? like ignition, starter, ect.?

thanks alot guys!

Kyle

Well for starters the ford ignition is an ok ignition system and its fairly simple. If you want really simple you can get a Hei Dist with everyhting inside. All you need to do it run a ignition hot wire to the dist and that's it. Look for one at www.4wd.com As for the other wiring, you need to get a repair manual I would recomend a chilton Manual. It has all the wiring diagrams. If you have any specific question just ask. I hope that helps

thanks for the replie.. could u tell me what i would need to use the factory distributor? i have nothing else but the distributor w/ the plug.. what would i need?

Well you could use the a wiring harness for the engine. You might want to look for one a a junk yard but chances are you won't find one. To make the engine Run you need an ignition Module. If you go to Autozone its wells part number is F102, of just look one up for you jeep at the parts store. Other than that you need a coil. To wire the dist. to the module you match color for color for the three coming out of the dist. I think they should be black, purple , and orange. Of the other wires out of the module. The Red go to Ignition switch on, The White goes to the signal wire on the Starter Solenoid. The last green one goes to the negetive terminal on the coil. The Positive on the coil also gets power when the ignition switch is on. That's about it I think.

Back