4x4 Not 4x4ing

bluejeep said:
OK, So if i turn the disconnect upside down. It will lock that slider in place and i will always have 4 wheels spinning, correct?

Now what’s the down side of this? I thought your not supposed to be driving in 4x4 on the freeway. I wont be able to make sharp turns, and will use more gas probably? Right?

no, even though your front driveshaft would now spin, it wont be under power. when you shift from 2wd to 4wd, then your front wheels would be getting power. most people actually ditch the 2 piece axle shaft for a one piece unit from a tj because of its problems.

the vacuum disconnect was jeeps answer to getting rid of manual hubs. when they went from the cjs to the yjs they ditched the manual hub design and used a unit bearing design, one that doesnt have a hub to lock in when you put it in 4wd. so to keep the front driveshaft from spinning they created this two piece axle which essentially does the same thing as locking hubs when it functions correctly. the thing was so problematic that when jeep built the tjs they did away with it and just made the passenger side axle one piece. tjs use the same unit bearing design that yjs do so therefore their front driveshaft always spins even when the tcase isnt engaged. the transfercase is designed so that the front output can be spun without having any affect on the rest of the drivetrain when the vehicle is in 2wd, it kind of just floats persay. when you switch to 4wd is when this changes, the front output of the transfercase then becomes driven

now on the yj's when one would change to 4wd is when this vacuum motor is supposed to slide the colar over, but by locking it permanently over you bypass this step, which is a very common failure, and your front axle now works the same as a tj's which has no disconnect.

thanks currupt, Ok, im so im goin to try flp the sides on the disconnct. What i understand is to just take it of with 4 bolts and then flip it. Do i push the slider to the left? And what do i do with the hoses that go to the disconnect?

just flip it 180 and push the collar over to the other side so that the fork holds it in place again, leave everything connected and try and rotate the vacuum motor 180 up by twisting it when its bolted back on. dont move the slider, that is what will hold the collar on the opposite side.

make sure your driveshaft is well balanced like Bounty said, if it isnt, your gonna end up doing some damage

Back