33x12.5 Tires

linkcorn

I have a 2001 Wrangler Sahara. I really liked another jeep I saw with 33x12.5 tires on it. I was going to get the AR -767 rims. The question for the pros is. What type of lift do I need to do this? What modifications do I need? On the rims what off set do I get?. As you can see I dont know crap. Thanks for any help you can give. Also The jeep I saw the guy had used a body lift, how bad is that to get a lift (I assume at least 3") as opposed to a coil spacer?

Thanks

You would need a 4 inch lift to clear those 33s... 4 inches is a common lift, there are many companies that make that size. A 3 inch body lift just plain SUCKS! Most people don't like to go over 1 inch, which can easily be replaced by a coil spacer which also looks better. You could do a combanation of lift types too, 2" of this 2" of that, By the way, what year wrangler had the 33s on it?

If I were you, I would either go for a 2inch suspension lift and 2 inch coil spacers.That would be the cheap way to get to 4 inches without a body lift.If you have the money I really recomend the true 4 inch suspension.The RE 4.5 is one of the nicest performing kits out there and a great kit if plan to go wheeling!If you just want looks, go for the 4 inch pro comp kit.After the 4 inch (suspension only) lift you will need;
1. A drop pitman arm
2. SYE(Slip Yolk Eiminator)
3.If it is going to be wheeled, brake line extenders

I unfortunatly didnt check the year but It was definitly a newer (2000's) model. Well at least it had circle head lights so we can take the 80's out.

For the coil spacer how difficult is that and for these lifts do I need to mod the steering or brake lines or anything else?

Thanks for the answer

OK I have pretty much decide on the 2" 2" combo for the 4" lift. I will do one at a time. Which one is the easiest so i can do that first and get an odea of whats going on. I would assume the body lift since there are only 8 points to raise and it just seems easier logically. So what offset should I get for the rims. Should I go with 0?

Thanks again guys.

Hey Link, I'm getting ready to do almost the same thing as you are. I want to stuff 33X12.5X15's under mt 03 wrangler. I am going with the Skyjacker 4" suspension lift and it includes the kit to lower the transfer case as well. I'll be using a 15x8" wheel with the tires.. Any ways good luck and keep jeeping..

hey welcome to the boards guys. I put my 4" lift in awhile back and run 33X12.5 on 15X10 wheels. I ordered a skyjacker 4" double flex for my 03 TJ(i had the money to toss around at the time, now i'm hurting for it). I lost the t-case drop(didn't like the funky angle my shifter was on) and went with the SYE. extended brake lines and a good alignment and it was done. I personally think that body lifts over 1" look kinda silly, But on a budget its a good way to get them tires cleared. The double flex was a very complete kit almost everything needed was there. I did it all myself and saved lots in labor...took awhile because like anyone who got a new toy its gotta be played with asap and forgot to check if everything was there...sure enough was missing a few bushings. lots of frustration for me seeing how i never messed with a suspension but all and all, wasn't that bad, was done quite easily with normal hand tools and a good old cheat bar. Snag a few buddys and make a weekend outta it.

-Evan

There are 11 body mounts to address when installing a body lift. Then you have to address the transfer case linkage, radiator shroud, ac lines, etc.

The 2" coil spacers are easy to install, usually takes me about an hour per axle with air tools. The body lift also takes about 2 hours.

You can get a Rough Country 4" TJ lift that performs very well for about $500.

There are many options out there for getting the amount of lift that you will need, Yes you can do the body lift and the spacers for about $200.00, but you will also need to figure out how you are going to use this jeep. Are you more into offroading it or are you a concrete cowboy? Are you into just getting the jeep into the air and making it look tough or do you really want it to be tough? What you make for decisions now may be things that later you have to work around or remove later to make the jeep what you want.

Welcome to the board I'm sure you will find the answers you are looking for here.

Thanks guys for all the info. To answer some of the questions. I will probably not do any real off-rodaing untill I really beef up the suspension for it. I am starting at this point to just get the new tires on and get it up. the stocks are so tiny. So basically I dont need it to real rugged yet. I do need it to clear the 33's. I want the 33's on a 15x8 wheel to keep the tire looking wide (not to mention when I 4 wheel I will be in sand mostly).

I also forgot to mention this which may have a huge imapct on your answers. Its an automatic transmission?

TJ's can hold 33's with 2" lift and get by on the road. but I promise you, even if you hit a spead bump at an angle you will rub. but it can be done. I have seen 35's on a 2" susp. and 2" body.

Back