205 Jeep Wrangler does not want to engage/move

Jules_tj_atx

It's a 2005, not 205.

Hi guys, I started another post wondering clutch or transmission. I was totally convinced that it was my master/slave clutch, but now I'm not so sure.

I checked the master reservoir and it had a normal fluid level. Looking under, I noticed the normal TJ 4.0 fluid. minor.

It's like the transmission/transfer case is stuck. I think it's in 2h, but I just know it's not and now it feels as though the upper gears an my shifter, 1, 3, 5, etc. don't want to go all the way in. I start it in second gear and try to go forward and it feels like it wants to. Like it's trying with all of his heart to. Same when I shift it to reserve, it rolls back just barely, notcible, but we are talking a smidge. I want to start by changing the fluid, but that's really where I am at. I am a Haynes manual owner, and pretty confident in my comfort level around a car/garage. My proudest moment is changing a blown head gasket on an '87 in line six Cherokee.

Any help or guidence is GREATLY appreciated or I am available on through iMessage, Google chat, Yahoo! messenger.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Does your Jeep have a body lift? It's not uncommon for a body lift to cause the shifter to make contact with the body of the Jeep.

No, no body lift. My T/A ko tires are 31 on a stock rim. It really feels like it doesn't want to go into 2 high. I put it in second or reverse and it wants to move. I feel it move slightly. .

So upon further review, I've noticed the posted has come out of whack. I'm I stupid to think I can fix?

staticmapcenter39661440104929730zoom14ma-1.jpg

Attachments

• image-1087953374.jpg
    image-1087953374.jpg
    378.3 KB · Views: 419
  • image-673871715.jpg
    image-673871715.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 413
  • image-3054555174.jpg
    image-3054555174.jpg
    400.4 KB · Views: 414
  • image-216364063.jpg
    image-216364063.jpg
    421.8 KB · Views: 399
I just love being challenged...I refuse to take my Jeep to a mechanic.

SO, I am now at the [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Jeep Transfer Case Shifter Linkage TSB[/FONT]. Since it's obviously jacked as the pictures above show, Could tis possibly be why I can't get it back into 2h? I'd much rather have a $20 dollar fix. It's a no brainer to fix as it's 20 and is in obvious need. Could THIS by chance be the issue I am having as far as my not being able to get it in to place?

Thanks!!

The linkage doesn't look too bad to me. It really does look like the body is higher than normal (i.e. body lift). I say that because of the way the bar is angled that connects the transfer case to the body of the Jeep - it's angled up from the transfer case to the body.

Do you happen to have a link to that TSB? I don't think I've seen it.

Here are some pictures of the linkage from my 2005 TJ with an automatic transmission.

IMG_1196-transfer-case-linkage.JPG

IMG_1197-transfer-case-linkage.JPG

IMG_1199-transfer-case-linkage.JPG

There is an adjustment screw that you may want to tweak. Just loosen this bolt

bolt.jpg

and then you'll be able to move the linkage with your hand from underneath. Put the linkage into 2WD, then put the shifter into 2WD and tighten the bolt again.

Last edited:
Mr. Mason, your pictures are spot on. My boot is out of whack and so is the spring. There's no tension or anything. The tires def. added some height to Bobby.

Your second post picture didn't load for some reason. I just sent you an email, if you could reply to that, I'd much appreciate it.

Re: 2005 Jeep Wrangler does not want to engage/move

Perfecto! I did see that screw, and thought that'd help, but to no avail. Would a lack of fluid in the transfer case also be a cause? I plan to do this inexpensive fix and change the fluid and see what happens.

Here is the link you requested:[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Jeep Transfer Case Shifter Linkage TSB[/FONT]

Am I on the right track?

What would I do about fixing the angle of the bar connecting the transfer case to the body?

I think the first thing you should do is unscrew that adjustment bolt, then move the linkage with your hand, manually putting it in 2WD. That's probably the easiest path to verify that your transfer case is fine (and will help you get around town). I'd do this before changing the fluid.

That TSB looks like a good thing to do, so I'd say go with it. The bracket can be hard to get off with only one person though.

Not to beat a dead horse, but does the body mount by your rear bumper look like this (this is a picture of my Jeep with a 1" body lift)
IMG_1207-transfer-case-linkage.JPG

Post a picture of your body mount if you get a chance. The angle of that bar is determined by the height of the body in relation to your transfer case.

What's the story behind this Jeep? Is it new to you, or did you just develop this issue recently?

Thanks Mr. Mason. Here's a picture.

I'm second owner. I've had it 2.5 years. I've not ever had an issue, change the oil and maintain it and I've always been good to my cars.

This just happened this past Wednesday. I'm not yet a lets go off roading guy. My recent move to Denver will change that I hope.

I've engaged the four wheel drive less then ten times.

Attachments

• image-3701127795.jpg
    image-3701127795.jpg
    487.2 KB · Views: 333
  • image-1324547927.jpg
    image-1324547927.jpg
    517.1 KB · Views: 388

Well, You're right, there's no body lift there. I'm not sure what the problem is at this point, and don't really have a good direction to point you in. We may have to wait for someone with a bit more experience than me.

I looked at your pics and to me it seems you are correct about the boot and spring. I dont know if its a similar set up as the 76-86 cj,s but I had a similar issue years ago with that same thing, and yes, replacing it fixed my issue. The cj had a rod from the pedal through the firewall that connected to the same type bar your does but mine bolted to the bellhousing. If I remember correctly the is like a ball and socket held together with that spring. I replaced and it worked. Its been years though so I dont remember many detail of it. I would try as you were going to do and replace it.

Transmission mount could be shot, causing the transmission to shift or drop. This would cause the bellcrank (horizontal bar between transmission and tub) to not be perfectly horizontal.

Remove the transfer case linkage from the transfer case, it's the 9/16" nut that attaches the flat shift bar to the transfer case. Then use a wrench on the 9/16" nut to shift the transfer case manually. This will determine if the linkage is the problem.

Bounty,

It does look like it has dropped. I have attached pictures. Also, doesn't that look like quite a bit if separation between the top of the transmission to the floor board?

Is it just the one bracket? the one that sits on the skid plate? It's almost as though everything is going at a downward angle from the front of the jeep to the rear.

Men, help! I just can't spend two grand on something so fixable.

Attachments

• image-939309112.jpg
    image-939309112.jpg
    416 KB · Views: 338
  • image-4116807622.jpg
    image-4116807622.jpg
    430.4 KB · Views: 361
  • image-2760584977.jpg
    image-2760584977.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 374
It is subpost to be at a slight angle from the motor back to help the ujoint angles. almost every jeep, truck is that way, so dont worry about that. crawl under you jeep so you can get a real close look at the trany mount that sits on the skid plate and see if the rubber portion of the mount looks cracked, ripped (split in half). If it is, that may have increased your angle from the motor back (dropped as mentioned above). The distance between the body and trany does look a bit more than useual to me, but I wouldnt worry about it if the trany mount looks fine. With no body lift, I asume it came that way from the factory.

Back