00 XJ Wiper Issue

jay79cj7

We got a big snow here last night. I cleaned the windshield off enough to drive to work and the wipers were working. The snow was keeping them from getting quite all the way to the park position, but this is something I have done throughout its 7 winters... All the sudden about a mile from home the radio lost power for about 2 seconds and came back on. The wipers wouldn't move after. I checked all the fuses and they are ok. There was no way I was driving another 15 miles with no wipers in the snow. I ended up turning around to get the CJ. After parking the XJ on the street for a while to dig the CJ out from the junk piled around it and get it out of the garage, I moved the XJ back into the driveway. The wipers came back to life. I still didn't trust them and drove the CJ to work today.

Based on the radio losing power, I suspect I may have an intermittent short somewhere. But if the motor froze up, that would effectively be a short too. I don't want to go drop 100 bucks on a motor to have the same issue happen. Anybody experience something like this before or have tip on where to look?

i had the same issuse on my 98 XJ 2 weeks ago i took it to the dealer and they fixed it there is a fuseable link behind the wiper motor that goes to the motor and crosses the radio wires in the truck and thats a issuse

Do you mean they rub and short out or what? They've been working fine for me since then and I haven't dug into it.

well they are in the wire loom under the dash together and what had happened with mine was the fuseiable link was getting hot and arking the radio power wire the dealer said that the fuseiable links used in the 97 to 01 XJ models were to big for the wiper motor causeing them to get hot and not blow as a fuse would and if they were to get to hot they will cause a fire in that case, what they did on my 98 was put a inline fuse in place of the fuseable link to fix the issuse they used a 7.5 amp inline fuse that is much easier to access now other then having to take the whole dash apart to fix a issue...

Attachments

• m_835055532b796a459be9b8f75186bd37.jpg
    m_835055532b796a459be9b8f75186bd37.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 209
yeah no problem hope you dont just let it go, hope ya get it fixed before it becomes a major problem. never wanna see a jeep burn, but a ford i burn them all day long... LOL!!!! :p

Attachments

• Picture005.jpg
    Picture005.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 166
Back