HELP!!! Torx screw HELL

tarsij

OK, I just got my new half doors today to replace the ones I dented up during my roll last year. The passenger side door went on without a hitch, but the drivers side was a totaly different story. I managed to adjust it so it opens and closes fine from the outside, but from the inside it sticks and I have to push really hard to open it. I know which torx screw I have to loosen to get it right, but I stripped it out trying to loosen it. Is there any was other than an EZ-Out to get it out? I have the EZ-Out and everything, I just don't want ot have to use it if I dont have to. PLEASE HELP!

TARSI[addsig]

worst part of the jeep if you ask me is the torx bolts. The new holes just might be a little off makin it close tight. as for the stripped screw, if ya want to fix that i'd drill it out, retap 'em and preplace with an allen bolt hex bolt. [addsig]

I got it out after about 45 minutes of trying. I drilled it out and used an EZ-Out, but I had a hard time getting it to bite because those damn screws were aluminum. I replaced it with some nice steel ones.

TARSI[addsig]

wanna know a cool way to get them out? do you have a welder/know how to weld? get yourself a spare nut and weld it to the top of the stripped torx, by welding inside of the hole. then grab yourself a ratchet and..... works like magic, as long as you do it right.[addsig]

i would never trust me with a welder..you'd have melted doors and paint thats all messed up..really good idea though. if i knew how to weld the roll bar would be modified up the whazzooo[addsig]

Awesome tip DirtDevil, I have done that a number of times, but lots of the screws on jeeps that strip easily are aluminum, unless you can find a aluminum hex nut, and have a heli-arc welder handy ez-outs is the way to go. A Mig weld won't bond to aluminum.

Johnny[addsig]

Thanks for the tips guys. I just stripped a bolt on the windshield. I took off my doors and am putting on some sideviews but stripped the bolt.[addsig]

Never touch a torx screw until you torch it! Heat it up ,don't be afraid to get it hot. You'll be suprised how much the paint will take. If that doesn't work, pour gas all over your jeep and lite.. :evil: [addsig]

Back