Would you?

1960Willy's

I have been restoring a 1960 Willy's CJ-5. It is all original with 49,000 original miles on it. Bought new by my Great Uncle Bill in 1960. I have replaced the entire brake system, needle valve in the carb, wheel/axle bearings, starter, waterpump, master cylinder, ignition system (cellanoid, plugs,points, distributor cap, etc.),battery, rims, tires, fuel sending unit, shocks, floor panels, and a few other things along the way.

Years ago, the vacuum operated fuel pump must have gone bad, and he replaced it with a noisy little electric fuel pump mounted under the hood on the wheel well. He also replaced the single windshield wiper with an electric one.

I am thinking of putting the original (but new) dual action vacuum fuel pump back in, and putting the original type vacuum operated windshield wipers back in as well. Mind you it runs fine with the electronic fuel pump, but it seems wrong for this jeep, and it has this constant clicking sound that annoys the crap out of me! Here is my 3 year project so far. I will be repainting it the factory color once all the mechanics are back to being A-1 condition.

What do you think?

BC

image-missing.png

To me, the word "restoring " means replacing or repairing the project to it's original condition as opposed to a "custom restoration" where some parts are the OEM replacement parts and some that are upgraded from it's original components. I would re-install a manual pump if the electronic one bothers you but i will keep the electric wiper simply because its more reliable and efficient to use than the vacuum actuated original equipment. I can tell you that if it's just the clicking noise that bothers you, there's some low volume electric fuel pumps out there that's quiet. I have one on my Jeep and i used a piece of dynamat to quiet it down to where i couldn't even hear it at all. So the choice is yours to decide, "Restore" or a "Custom Restoration"...

:twisted:with those vacuum wipers, as soon as you need them most, (acceleration) they STOP. I would stick with the electric and maybe have original in a box in the back of the garage or something like that.

:twisted:with those vacuum wipers, as soon as you need them most, (acceleration) they STOP. I would stick with the electric and maybe have original in a box in the back of the garage or something like that.

I have the opposite experience, I have vacuum wipers in my hot rod, the cam is a little radicle and the wipers and brakes both operate off vacuum so we did add a vacuum pump, but when I am driving they move at a constant speed, when under hard throttle, they speed up, at red light at idle they slow down to almost nothing..

But I do agree, keep the electric.

Thanks for the reply's thus far.
SteelHeadz, I guess the phrase would be "custom restoration". Ol' Uncle Bill was the king of mechanical improvisation! I guess you would have to be in the Phillipines around 1943! There are definitely some "custom" configurations of hoses and wires under the hood!. As I said, it is pretty much running very good at this point, but the fuel pump / vacuum operated wiper are the only real parts that came with it in 1960, but were replaced some time ago. The manually operated passenger side wiper (with the hand crank) is just too cool to get rid of. Having both wipers work off the vacuum was "optio9nal" back then.

As far putting in the vacuum fuel pump, and keeping the electric wipers, I think I would have to go with all or nothing. The jeep came with a dual vacuum pump for just that purpose. The single pump just for the fuel was not original equipment for this particular jeep. The old dual pump is still mounted on the engine.

HiHood, I am tending to agree with leaving the electrics in it for now. It is not a pressing issue, and I will most likely make that decision somewhere down the road.

Cheech66, I cannot even begin to tell you how much that man is missed. He was a very big part of our lives growing up. Getting this jeep back on the road after 25 years is my tribute to him.

Thanks again for the replies. I reckon I will have to think it over some.

BC

Last edited:
Thanks for the replys thus far.
SteelHeadz, I guess the phrase would be "custom restoration". Ol' Uncle Bill was the king of mechanical improvisation! I guess you would have to be in the Phillipines around 1943!
BC

LOL, i was born and raised in the Phillippines. But not during those years, i'm not that old:lol:..

Hey Steelheads,

What part of the Philippines are you from? I've been to the Naga City area, Calabanga, Mt Mayon, and (of course) Manila. The Jeepneys and Owner type Jeeps sure are a testiment to Philippine ingenuity!! - John

Hey Steelheads,

What part of the Philippines are you from? I've been to the Naga City area, Calabanga, Mt Mayon, and (of course) Manila. The Jeepneys and Owner type Jeeps sure are a testiment to Philippine ingenuity!! - John
Born at St. Lukes Hospital in Quezon City and lived in Pasig Metro Manila.. Moved here in 1989 when i was 19..

Back