What can my TJ tow?

ZBTstang

I bought a 98 TJ SE (4 cycl, 2.5L) and it came with the towing package (trailer hitch) on it already. Now I know it says that I can tow 1000 pounds ( I think
image-missing.png
) with a 4 cycl engine. What confuses me is how do I know what 1000 pounds is short of weighing something myself. What I mean is for example, if a friend is stuck in the mud would I would be able to pull them out or to where they can get traction on their own? What would actually happen if I tried pulling something over 1000 pounds?[addsig]

The 2.5 can tow up to 2000 with the 5 speed, the auto can only tow 1500 (if I remember correctly) and even thats not recommended. If someone is stuck in the mud you can pull them out. I had to pull a Dodge Raider over six feet through a mud pit. It wasn't easy i had to back up a little with each pull and kinda get a running start. Thats not the smartest thing but it did the job. If you try pulling something more than 1000 pounds your Jeep will explode
image-missing.png
[addsig]

One of the reasons that they have such a low towing tolerance is one because of its short wheel base because if you get 3000 lbs behind a vehicle with that short of a wheel base (and weight) then whatever you are pulling has more control than you. Second, if its a 4 banger you really don't have much power to spare
image-missing.png
[addsig]

To tow is not the same as to pull. You can pull what ever the traction of you jeep can muster. If you are on dirt mud or grass you can tug on an oak tree if you feel the need. So you will spin the tire prior to the breaking point of most major parts. If you have a buddy stuck hook up laught at him or her, take a couple of pics for the black mail factor, and then pull tug and jerk his or her stuck butt free. Just dont hook to somehing like a 32 foot bayliner loaded with a weeks worth of camping supply and go tooling down some hi way. I hope this helped. Nice avatar choice! Tug
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Hay i got a 1990 yj with a 2.5l and i have towed a full size ski boat too and back from the lake. In all about 200 miles. Hell the the boat was three times the size of my jeep. I only did it because i had to. you know! But the more weight you put back there the more it will pull and tug. To know what your jeep can handle you got to find out what axles you have and the GVWR. That is what both axles can tow. Any book on your jeep should tell you.If you have the d30 and the d35c it should be around 2,500 lb's. If you have a d44 in the rear it would be more. Hope That Helped.[addsig]

Back