They've scrapped the Scrambler & stretched the Wrangler

southtj

(08:30 Nov. 11, 2003)
Jeep Scrambler scrapped for next year, stretched Wrangler to be offered

By MARY CONNELLY | Automotive News

The future of the Jeep Scrambler, a Wrangler with a pickup style bed, is uncertain.
DETROIT -- The Chrysler group has called off plans to bring out the Jeep Scrambler next year, according to a company source familiar with the project.

Instead, the company will field the 2005 Jeep Unlimited, a stretched version of the Jeep Wrangler, the source says. The model will arrive in showrooms in 2004.It is not clear whether the Scramber project is dead or could arrive later.

The Scrambler is a pickup derivative of the Wrangler.

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=06656568

My opinion on the matter is pretty blunt. But if they make the scrambler a smooth wimpy looking street version they won't sell to those who "WANT" a scrambler in the first place. Huge mistake.

A four door stretched wrangler?? Maybe someone will like them.

I can't wait for this SUV trend to fade away. :roll: 10-16 mph with no room of the old land yaht station wagons. And how much are they going ask for such a Jeep?? More then I would ever pay.

If the stretched wrangler looks like this, I kinda like it.

image-missing.png

Like I said last week, I'll believe the Scrambler when it's finally in production.

Baked Alaskan, the Scrambler looks like the same stance and drivetrain as the 'smooth wimpy looking street version' we know as the TJ, it'll have to be modified for any type of offroad duty. The CJ8 was the same suspension and drivetrain as the CJ7, off the dealer lot it wasn't as near as capable but had lots of potential.

image-missing.png

That IS funny, but not quite what I meant by that. But mainly the wimpy smooth bodied car look. Not a rugged truck or utilitarian style body. We all know how I feel about the TJ in genral. But I feel the Scrambler neeeeds to be a rugged looking tough man truck. (More Australian/desert style)

The Brute is about perfect for what she needs to look like to be a real contender as far as sales. Some will sell just not like they should.

Why? because the jeep above keeps the classic look of the wranglers which looks better than the liberty I think... not to mention they both look to be the same size... why would a company put out 2 almost identical sized vehicles with the only differences maybe cosmetic?

They need to replace the Libby KJ with the Dakar in the above pic. Get back to solid axles and a real jeep grille. Looks to have about the same room inside. Who needs IFS, anyway :roll:

I think they pic's above, both the stretched wrangler AND the "scrambler" are sissyfied and ugly. The Brute has appeal. big-time appeal. I don't understand why, in a market where big SUV's like the tahoes, H2's, Navagator's, etc are doing so well, they would design a little sissy mistake like those. The liberty sells. I don't care for it, but there is a big market for it, I see them everywhere. Why bring the wrangler into it?

far_right said:
the 2.4 is supposed to be a better motor than tha 2.5... but they are still 2cyls short any way you look at it
I've heard the 2.4L is pretty gutless compared to the screamin' 2.5L. I need to check one out, take it for a spin in the 5spd flavor so as to compare apples to apples.

It flaunts its 147 horsepower rating by delivering 165 lb.-ft. of torque. That's 22.5 percent more horsepower and 17.8 percent more torque than the '02 model.

from the jeep website, but we also know the numbers are probably inflated

Attention Jersians!!

I noticed that too Mingez. lol :roll:

And whats wrong with a 2.5L in a Jeep anyway?

IMHO :shock: This is one group that loves a debate, I think.

Lady

Back