The next question is...

zglad

Thank you to all of you who have chimed in on my latest jeep problems. To those interested, I have a few more. Here is the run-down. Freshly rebuilt engine, new or rebuilt holley carb (2 barrel). We installed all of these things at the same time. We first tried to start it the other day. It will start, but won't stay running. I must confess that I really haven't had much time to play with it. I just thought I would look for good places to start. First, none of the vaccum lines are hooked up, but they are all plugged at the carb. I haven't adjusted the timing much, but it should be really close from when we stabbed the distributor. I don't have much knowledge of carbs, so I don't really know how to adjust anything more than the idle. Is the carb where I should look first? It will start if we pour gas down the carb, but it runs rough. The gas is flowing into the carb like it should. Any advice? Know where I could find some vaccum diagrams?
'79 CJ5 258

Zac

i think you may be on the right track asking for vacuum diagrams... i am not too familiar with them... but i know they can be very picky with vacuum

One thing you could try would be to plug all the vacuum ports on the Carb. this will stop any vacuum leaks and should allow the engine to Idle. Try that and see what happens. As for the real vacuum diagrams I can't really help. You could get a repair manual. I prefer chilton but niether it nor Hayes really tell you the whole picture of vacuum diagrams. I have both.

Back