Tachometer Timing

84_CJ7

This all started with what I thought was timing but was actually a bad fuel pressure regulator. What is the simplest way to check my engine speed while setting my timing? I don't have a tach on my CJ 258 (no ECU) and with the Weber and the TFI upgrade I'm either pinging or dieseling at shut-off. And what is the optimum setting for this setup? I have seen 6 BTC and 9 BTC (factory). What degree should the timing move to after the vacuum advane is hooked back to the distributor? I can't remember ever having such a hard time setting timing!

Scott

edited by: 84_CJ7, Jun 20, 2003 - 01:38 AM[addsig]

Not overly familiar with cj engins, but can you use a timing light, and should it have a timing indicator?
In my opinion with working on older engins, and again I am not familiar with CJ engins, first find TDC, call up crane cams and get a degree wheel, bolt it up to the harmonic balancer or crank, and re-degree the cam, setting the timing foe factory, then advance it or retard it accordingly. Thats the best I can do bro!

Johnny[addsig]

Setting it to the marks on the balancer is not the problem but with the engine speed. As the RPMs increase so does the mechanical advance. I have had great success setting by ear in Ford trucks but this is really picky. I just want to get back to a solid foundation. Without a tach I'm just guessing. My timing light does not have a tach/dwell meter - I guess I will have to pick one up. That bad pressure regulator really got me out of sorts!

Scott[addsig]

Sorry, Just like the timing on some trucks, I was a little retarded there. I miss understood the question.
I would go down to autozone or napa or what ever and buy the cheapest tach they have. Open the hood, attach the ignition to a constant, ground to ground, and the tach signal off the coil. don't cut the wires on the tach! use it as needed, rebox, and return.

Or get a nice autometer tach or VDO or something and install in the jeep for a perminent solution.

Johnny[addsig]

Got the tach but kept it. Need it for my Ford FE engine anyway. Got the timing sorted out without the light or the tach - did it by the ping method. I needed to get the timing gear because I had no idea where I was.

Scott[addsig]

Mystery solved! Clogged catlytic converter. After a straight pipe and a Flowmaster my power returned and I'm running 13 BTC @ 1600RPM. Zoom zoom.

Scott[addsig]

Back