Stumbling Still.......

Gr8tdragon

Well Guys and Gals I still have the stumbling problem with my 97 TJ with a 2.5 l. I have changed just about every electric component these include:

Crank position sensor
camshaft position sensor
throttle position sensor
idle air control
distributor cap and rotor 2 times
fuel pressure sender
fuel pump

The only things not changed is the map and the Computer.
It is stumbling when you are at lower rpms in any gear at any speed. Only a quick stumble then runs good for a while then stumbles again.
Does not give any codes and is timed at 5 degrees.
Have a code reader that does live reading but still can't see the issue...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've had similar problems on my old 98 it would stumble so bad the it was almost stall. It wouldn't throw and DTC's but now and then would trip a knock sensor code. It ended up being a simple intermittent problem with my front O2 sensor.

did you change the tempture sensor at thermstat . it changes your gas air mix in colder temps and have all codes erased or it takes about 75 warm ups from cold

Its funny. No not funny. My 97 wrangler with a 2.5L was also stumbling real bad, more so when it first would take off until it warmed up. Then it would stumble entermitted. I also changed the throttle position sensor, new cap and rotor. cleaned throttle body and checked all plugs and wires. I then found a small leak of oil and still not know exactly where its coming from. I think is from the master cylinder or power steering line. I have been cleanig and wiping things down for awile now until I find the exact source. What I have found is that oil and grim has been going down some wires and getting into the connector for the 02 sensor. I have cleaned the connection and every 3 to 4 days wipe down any oil from wires and such running in that direction. I is running much better. I believe that oil got inside the connection and send a false erractic signal. Also found some loose vacuum lines that lead to the intake manifold and I zipped tied the ends for now. I all seems to be running better with hardly any bucking or stumbling at all. I still need to pin point the source of this mini leak of oil. Hope this is not to late of a response and hope this might give you ideas of some sort, to put a end to that stumbling.

Last edited:
Back