Strange steering problem

iraq_vet_x2

My buddy came to me today with a problem, and I’ll throw it up here and wee what ya’ll think. When he’s driving down the road and hits a bump it turns the wheel like a typical bump steer problem. However, the steering wheel doesn’t go back to center, but the Jeep keeps going forward with the steering wheel at a new cocked position. Any thoughts?

Well,First off, it would take a BIG BUMP to bend your steering linkage, However, that's where i would start looking..check all the linkage between tie rod ends and your TrackBar .. if all is good, check the Steering Intermediate shaft. look for signs of the shaft spinning from the splines(not likely but check it anyway). somehow or another the Geometry of the Jeep Changed from that BUMP.. also, set the front wheel on the driver side in a straight ahead position by eyeballing the front tire to the rear. then look at the passenger front tire in relation to the rear, this will give you an idea if the frontend needs to be aligned..It would be very obvious if the Steering gear box has failed. Exessive end play or a cracked housing, but at this point you would have noticed a pool of powersteering fluid oooozzzinng out, so if thats not the case, rule this one out. i'm willing to bet my dog's nail that there is something bent in the front..

Last edited:

The wierd thing is that it's changing the steering wheel position after EVERY bump...no matter the size. So at one point, straight ahead will mean you need to have the steering wheel at 1 o'clock, then you hit another bump and straight ahead becomes 3 o'clock, hit another and your at 11 o'clock. Very strange. It is lifted 4" and has 33's, so there might be something there. I did notice that the steering grear box was intact, and there were no leaks coming from it. Which bar should I be looking at for being bent when I see the Jeep again tomorrow?

I't sounds like a shifting issue on the front axle.. my first suspect would be the Trackbar. it's responsible for keeping the front axle squared with the rear. so if the track bar shifts from its mounting points, that will change the steering center each time it moves.. Check the retainers for the track bar and make sure the holes are not elongated due to impact and make sure they are tight on the frame side and the axle side.. Check the linkage on the steering that connects the right wheel to the left wheel for bends.

Since it was lifted that high... There was probably a dropped pitman arm installed and, maybe they didn't tighten the nut correctly. Your "splines" on the steering box output shaft might be skipping and allowing the wheel to "change" position. Even if there is not a dropped arm someone might have dismantled it and not put it back tight. Best of luck - John

Resolution found!
There were two problems, and ya'll can fight over which one was the problem. The tow was way off and in too far, and the pitman arm bolt was not all the way tightened down. Once both things were corrected the problem was gone.

I believe the tow being so far off was making it alternate between which tire would be straight after each bump was hit.

What do ya'll think?

Resolution found!
There were two problems, and ya'll can fight over which one was the problem. The tow was way off and in too far, and the pitman arm bolt was not all the way tightened down. Once both things were corrected the problem was gone.

I believe the tow being so far off was making it alternate between which tire would be straight after each bump was hit.

What do ya'll think?

My vote is for the loose pitman arm bolt.

Back