spring over parts list?

Tyler Bates

I have an 81 cj5 and I am thinking I want to do a sprong over for a cheaper lift a more of for now thing but Im not sure what all parts I will need to do this and I want to do it so I dont have axel wrap so bad that it points my pinion at the ground and leaves my driveshaft flopping like others I have seen so an parts list from a person experienced with this would be helpful

If you want to go spring over to save money you won’t if you do the job right. There are a lot of issues with this swap starting with the additional torque placed on the springs. I know some of you swear by it but in reality you are just asking a lot out of the system. Read this article from JP before you start cutting the perches off your axels:

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/suspension/154_0906_spring_over_versus_spring_under/index.html

I've done several SOA on short wheel base cj's.. I will give you a brief parts list of the most succesful one.

4 stock yj leaf springs
new fron spring hanger
new front shacle hanger
D44 front from waggy, shortened (went into a narrow trac 5)
4 sets of axle end shock tabs (ruff stuff)
ford f150 front shock mounts
extended brake lines (front were 83 chevy K10, rear was disc conversion.. 97f150 lines I think)
bump stops
3 new spring perches (stock D44 are cast and are a ***** to weld compared to cold rolled)
front and rear anti-wrap bars
new rims and a set of Q78 swampers (~36")

you could avoid the D44 swap, but still need to change to 2.5" front springs. the springs will be near flat and will only have about 2-3 inches uptravel. I've done SOA on stock CJ springs, not a huge fan of the 2" front springs in a SOA application, even with a anti-wrap bar, but thats my opinion.

PM me and i can get you all the advice you need my best friend just finished his SOA last night so i can give you his email and contact info.

PM me and i can get you all the advice you need my best friend just finished his SOA last night so i can give you his email and contact info.

That would be great I still havnt decided on a spa or waiting until I can get a lift but list of what I would need would be helpful in my descision

Back