Soft Top WOES!

TreyCausey

Hey all... At the beginning of the spring, I purchased a new soft-top (Replace-a-Top) for my 90 Wrangler. I never had my doors on for all of summer or spring, though. Now that it is getting cooler out, I put my doors on, but for all the tugging, pulling, and cursing in the world, I cannot get the upper-half door skins to seal to the door. They will seal in a place or two, but not all the way through, therefore the seal comes undone as soon as it undergoes any wind resistance.

Not only does this look messy, it's COLD in the Jeep! Any suggestions or tips to get these suckers on?

Frustrated in Blacksburg.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Dude I bought my yj back in the summer. Next day knowing winter was coming I started the search for a hard top. Cause they aint no warm soft top. I did find a deal on a targa two piece top and factory half doors. This may help to save you some bucks if wish to go to a hard top. I started looking at the smaller car dealer lots till I found one with a top that I liked then I ask if they would trade soft top for a hard top. I gave 500.00 and my old very worn soft top and doors for half doos and the targa top. I feel it was a great deal. Then I bought a new bikini top for the warm days. Other than a hard top I don't see you being warm this winter. Good Luck Tug
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Try to warm up the upper half door material with a space heater or blow dryer for a while. Then put them back on and wait a little while before leaving to let them contract into place. Or if you have the money buy a hardtop.[addsig]

I have a soft top on my 94 YJ and it heats up really fast even on my trip back to school going 85. It was fine. Just my input on soft tops. -Mike
image-missing.png
[addsig]

make sure the metal frames are seated all the way in their holes. Then do what that other guy said and heat them up. don't get too close! Plastic windows melt! They will fit, I promise. I also found that it helps to unzip the window first, then get the seam under the rail. When you've got it, zip your window backup.

image-missing.png
[addsig]

OK, buying a hard top is out of the question (I actually just had to replace the engine, long story) so I will try these other suggestions. It's raining right now (and rather cold) so using electricity outside is kind of out of the question for the time being.
image-missing.png

Unzipping the window is a good idea though, I didn't think about that. I'll post back and let you know how it goes. Thanks![addsig]

Take your doors off and put them in your basement or some place warm overnight. That should allow you to get the tops on. I also noticed that your having problems keeping the top on. I had this problem even after I got the top on. I would drive and the top would start to blow loose from the body channeling. Once the top is on I put a piece of wood over the area where the channeling is. Then I used a hammer to tap the channeling down onto the plastic that holds the top on. It holds the top on great now.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back