shifter

ttin1man

Just bought a 91 wrangler and the transfer case shifter is bent. Whats the best way to get the top part of the shifter apart. There are two tabs , one in front and in back but when I push them in it won't release. Is there something that I am missing? Steve

I know the joint you're speaking of, and I've never been able to get one apart.

I took two flat headed screws and cut them off, leaving about a quarter inch of threads. Then I put the shifter in a vise, with the screws positioned at the tabs and tightened the vise until the tabs were both pushed in. They don't go in very far. Then I took a hammer and worn out screw driver and tapped the top part off. The rubber part between the 2 pieces is probably all gummed up and possible shot. I've had one come off clean and another where the rubber part came off in pieces.

I can't remember exactly how I took mine off, but I remember using PB Blaster and perhaps some hand tools. Either way, it was a bear to remove, and the rubber was cracked - likely due to age. Just be prepared to put in a good amount of time and muscle getting the shifter shaft removed.

Took pair of slipjoint pliers(old) and ground the jaws down. Got a good grip on the tabs and put a pry bar under it and popped it right off. Plastic bushing is shot and I haven't figured out what to replace it with but at least it is off.

Back