Shackles and Pitman arm

Nicarus

Hey, I'm a new Jeep owner, and I need to replace my shackles. I have an 84 CJ7, the shackles are the original and worn out. I bought some new ones from an off-road company, that measure 6 1/2" hole to hole, and I also purchased a set of the poly bushings. What will my actual lift be? Is that too long for my Jeep or will I be ok? I also have a 2 1/2" suspension lift, and I'm already running 33" tires. The other question I have is about my pitman, right now I'm running a stock pitman, with the supension lift on there, with the new shackles should I put on a droparm pitman or will I be ok with the stock?

Nicarus

Measure the distance between the center of the bolt holes for the stock shackles, then for the lift shackles. Divide the difference by 2 and that is what your shackle lift will be.
You probably will need a dropped pitman arm with all that lift. Drive it first and see how the steering feels. You may get some bump steer and loss of turning radius with the stock one.

Well I put the shackles on and they look and feel great. I had one small snag, and it wasn't the pitman arm. I had to disconnect my swaybars because they were too short. I don't need the pitman arm, it runs good without the droparm so I'm going to exchange the pitman for the swaybars. For my first time working on a Jeep I feel great.

Back