Scout Axles, Narrow track CJ7

franked

I would like to change out my AMC20 rear axle and Dana30 front for a 4.10 geared set of scout axles 44 and 44, or 44 rear and 30 front, If the front scout is a 30, I'll just take the carrier, out of both and use a CJ5 axle I have(Dana44, 3.73), but IF they are both Dana 44s, how do I change the front over to my disk brakes(drums on the scout axle now), and does anyone know the standard axle lengths on the scout axles? They are in another town, I'll have to go check and measure the scout stuff, and make sure they are both D44s.
So my questions are,
1. what is involved changing drums to disks on a scout axle
2. how hard is it to narrow the left side of a scout axle, I read an article online and it sounds like a lot, but do-able. Thanks, Frank

Never got any response from you guys, I got the Scout axles, they are in the shop with the jeep now being put on, 44s front and back, cost me a pile o money though, setting up the Detroit locker, and the posi for the front, and 4.10 gears. I did put my 10 hours worth on the weekend, but I don't have time to do all this work myself. I can't wait to go play with it.

Glad to hear your project is moving along. Have you run into any problems with the brake conversion and shortening the front axle? If you've got pictures to post, we'd enjoy seeing them. How soon until you get to drive your CJ out of the shop?

Sounds like it'll be a brute. Sorry I wasn't of any help, I'm still learning myself! Like Dan said, some pictures would be cool. I love looking at others' projects.
Are you going spring over with these new axles? I'm very interested in your project.

I brought it home today, It was a 20 minute drive, and a little scary, the locker makes it kick a little to the side when you hit the throttle, or let off the throttle fast. I almost changed lanes the first couple times, It seems closer to the right speed on the speedo now with the 4.10 gears, I am not sure. I decided NOT to narrow the axles, I will put up some pictures of what they did to it, I still can't wait to take it out, but I am working, and on 24hr call all weekend, I'll have to take it out next week sometime. The un-narrowed axles widened my narrow track jeep about 7 inches at both ends, I like it!!, the 8x15 wheels with 33x12.50 tires stick out from under the stock style flares about 3-4 inches. I did not do the spring-over, I understand that you have to cut the ends of the front to rotate the knuckles to get the proper caster and pinion angles. And that might be too much height now, besides having to extend drive shafts
I still need to modify the skid plates I had for the stock axles, so they will go over the larger u-bolts on the D44 axles.
As for the scout axle conversion.I'll try to get pictures tomorrow, with close ups of the fabbed parts at the front to widen the spring mounts. My jeep is not that high. I thought it was a 4" lift untill I got the flares put on, It may be only 2" or 3" maybe someone could look at the pics and tell me what I have. I would maybe want to get another inch or 2 up from this rig, but I don't want to have to lengthen the driveshafts, or cut the fronts this year at least. I still have a roll cage to get, and interior work to do for the rubicon trip I am trying to make 8/08-8/10. need to install the back seat, carpet, tachometer, fan shroud, radio.... blah blah blah........ it goes on and on. I think this project will last forever...

Sorry I didn't get to the pictures, turned into an 11 hour workday today, yesterday was busy too. I'll try to get them tomorrow, I did get the wipers put on today(big 5 minute job, woohoo!). I just hope I can get everything done before the Rubicon trip in early august, anyone know an affordable person for building a full or family cage?, Frank

Well, getting some pictures up, I got the skid plates done and the u-bolts cut on the back, still have the front to do.

Attachments

• Jeep5.JPG
    Jeep5.JPG
    361.8 KB · Views: 1,338
  • P7060021.JPG
    P7060021.JPG
    379.4 KB · Views: 1,692
  • P7060018.JPG
    P7060018.JPG
    355.4 KB · Views: 2,265
  • P7060015.JPG
    P7060015.JPG
    357.2 KB · Views: 2,649
  • P7060014.JPG
    P7060014.JPG
    347.3 KB · Views: 896
That looks like a very sweet setup. The wider stance should help out on the trails, as well as give more peace of mind for when the family is riding along. Good luck with the rest of your installs, and finding somebody to make that cage for you. Now go play!

That's a really neat setup, looks great! Now, we'll have to see how it does in action!

That is VERY sweet!!! Sorry we all didn't respond to you originally..............we can all be stupid at times. Re-reading your original post, I see that you've got a CJ5 (narrow, narrow, narrow! :shock:). I think them Scout axles do alot for your footprint!!!! Looks good!!

Just goes to show you don't always need "us"....:shock::roll::shock:.......sometimes when you just "go for it" it turns out GREAT!!!! Good job!!

What did the shop do for proper caster/pinion angle? The Scout front d44 has 0º caster and you need 5º-8º for the jeep. Setting the proper caster with a scout axle means pointing the pinion way down, or cutting and turning the inner C's.

It has whatever caster the axle came with, I was going to check what it was and wedge it a little to get some caster if it was 0 or less, I think it needs a steering gearbox as well. The wheel has about 20-30 deg of play in it. like I said, it was a little scary driving it home. Is a jeep really supposed to have 5-8°?
I think the lift kit shackles on the front end of the springs might actually take more caster out too. I will be checking it in the next few days, what is the most pinion angle you can get away with? I would hate to have to have the axles cut and the ends turned. Frank

If it's stock Scout, you have 0º which will be scary on-road. If you've got longer than stock shackles, chances are you have negative caster, meaning the upper balljoints are further forward than the lowers. Very scary.

As much as you've spent on axles, it would be worth it to have the C's cut and turned for proper caster and pinion angle. There's a 4wd shop here that does it for $300 an axle, they do Scout D44's pretty often.

I would do that if the shop would for 300, I think they might if I gave them the bare housing, off the jeep. That is a lot of work, And I am trying to move next weekend, not gonna happen right now. where is it that you live? Frank

By shackle reversal, do you mean spring-over? I think I would have to lengthen the driveshafts if I did that, I would have to do the back, and have the spring perches cut off and moved in the back too, to get the pinion angle right, that sounds like ANOTHER 1000.00 with this shop, if not more. I think I am going to have to do it myself if I can, or just wedge it and hope that I don't tweak the pinion angle too far, what can you get away with for angle? Frank

Shackle reversal is moving the front spring shackles from in front of the axle to behind, and using solid spring hangers in front. It's okay on the road if done right, but does nothing to improve offroad capability.

OK, I have some 2deg wedges I can put in, and if I swap the shackles, I will effectively roll the axle a few more degrees back for better caster, putting me in the neighborhood of 5-6deg more than I have now, but I am not sure what my pinion is now, or what I should have when I am done, what is a maximum safe angle? Frank

Back