Replacing Transfer Case

kmroxo

So my then girlfriend, now wife, bought a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with the straight 6 while I was on deployment in the Navy. Of course, being a chick, she got the one with Quadra-Trac I meaning it has the full time 4wd and no low range. Didn't bug me when I got back from cruise because we weren't married and I had a 4x4 pick up. Now we are married and due to a variety of reasons, the pick up truck is gone. I personally prefer the capability to select 2 or 4wd at my desire, but since my wife is like most (not all) women who can't figure that kind of thing out in the snow, I do like the ability for her to have the full time 4wd. In 2004, the 6 cylinder Larado could come with either the Selec-Trac or the Quadra-Trac I. The Selec-Trac allows for the option of 2wd, 4wd high, full time 4wd, and 4wd low. This sounds like something I would prefer to have. I forget the specific model numbers of these transfer cases, but more importantly is can I swap mine out for the Selec-Trac one? I know I would need to swap out the console area and add the transfer case shift lever, but these should all be stock parts that I can get from the dealer or from salvage.

Thanks,
keith

Back