rear end hop

djcrigh

Hi:

I am experiencing a problem with my YJ when I try to ease the clutch out and smoothly go from stopped until the clutch is fully engaged. It happens mostly on a loose surface like gravel. I try and let the clutch out slowly and give it a little gas but it seems as if the rear end wants to hop up and down. On a paved road there is usually no problem. Once I am moving there is no problem changing gears up or down on any surface. It is just that initial move from stopped until the clutch is fully engaged and the car is moving even a little bit. I haven't seen any other YJ's to compare but I have noticed that my rear leaf springs are arched up rather than down. The suspension is all stock, no lift of any kind, and all original. Could the springs have lost their spring and thus causing this rear axle hop?

Cheers, Don

if they are curved up, then yes, the springs are in need of replacement but i have never heard of wheel hop like that just from normal clutch engagement.

my old mustang used to do it but i had some work done on the motor so i had to put traction bars.

djcrigh said:
Hi:

I am experiencing a problem with my YJ when I try to ease the clutch out and smoothly go from stopped until the clutch is fully engaged. It happens mostly on a loose surface like gravel. I try and let the clutch out slowly and give it a little gas but it seems as if the rear end wants to hop up and down. On a paved road there is usually no problem. Once I am moving there is no problem changing gears up or down on any surface. It is just that initial move from stopped until the clutch is fully engaged and the car is moving even a little bit. I haven't seen any other YJ's to compare but I have noticed that my rear leaf springs are arched up rather than down. The suspension is all stock, no lift of any kind, and all original. Could the springs have lost their spring and thus causing this rear axle hop?

Cheers, Don

Kinda sounds like clutch chatter to me. Usually caused by a worn out pilot shaft bushing or bearing.

Im having the same issue. pretty sure 808CJ7 is right. I needa get my clutch assembly looked at too. kinda working funky

It may be spring wrap up though it would happen on dry pavement as well. The sagging spring and poor drive line angles may be the cause.

I agree with it sounding like clutch chatter. probably moves easier on pavement (less resistance) than it does on loose surface, requireing more power to get moving showing signs of bad throwout or pilot bushing. As said above, I doubt the rearend is actually hoping just feels like it is. It would hop on all surfaces if it was axle wrap. I have delt with bad axle wrap in the past and you will know it if the rearend hops. I would have your clutch looked at.

I agree with it sounding like clutch chatter. probably moves easier on pavement (less resistance) than it does on loose surface, requireing more power to get moving showing signs of bad throwout or pilot bushing. As said above, I doubt the rearend is actually hoping just feels like it is. It would hop on all surfaces if it was axle wrap. I have delt with bad axle wrap in the past and you will know it if the rearend hops. I would have your clutch looked at.

In my heart of hearts I know you are right. I like to do all my own repairs and was not looking forward to pulling the transmission. Guess I will have to bight the bullet. My biggest concern is if I get that far I might as well replace the clutch and that involves a splined shaft to align the clutch disc. I will have to canvas the local 4X4 clubs and see if I can borrow one.

Don

A lot of the clutch kits come with the alignment tool

A lot of the clutch kits come with the alignment tool.

This is true and if they don't, your local auto parts store should have one. They are cheap, like less than 10 bucks, probably more like 4-5$
Oh, another thing that can cause that is a broken trans mount.

Last edited:
In my heart of hearts I know you are right. I like to do all my own repairs and was not looking forward to pulling the transmission. Guess I will have to bight the bullet. My biggest concern is if I get that far I might as well replace the clutch and that involves a splined shaft to align the clutch disc. I will have to canvas the local 4X4 clubs and see if I can borrow one.

Don

If you want I have a Centerforce duel friction clutch from a 95 wrangler 4.0 with about 7K miles on it for sale. The wrangler was wrecked and I plan on putting a small block in my new jeep.

Thanks for the clutch disc offer, but we just arrived back in Canada. Shipping stuff between Canada and the US has always been a problem so I am going to order the clutch kit from a Canadian supplier.

Thanks, Don

Back