Questions about a body lift

Merlin

I really need to change my deteriorating rubber bushings between my body and frame. I thought this would be a good time to add a 1" body-lift.

My questions are:

How long does it take to install a body lift?
What will need adjusting ie, clutch linkage...
Has anybody used the Daystar lift? They incorporate the bushing with the lift.

This is what the ad say's,

"Daystar combines the popular 1" body lift with polyurethane. These are not body puck spacers that you use with your conventional mounts. Longer polyurethane bushings replace the mushy factory rubber bushings to provide less body roll over conventional body lifts".

Thanks for the help.

Turn Signal Switch Help!!

I've never done it, but am considering the daystar 1" lift. I'm not sure on CJs, but on my YJ, I know that the only thing that needs adjusting is the Radiator fan shroud. Because the fan will stay, but the shroud will raise, so you have to adjust that. They should include the brackets to correct this. Or just remove your shroud and drill new holes in it. Here's where I found the Daystar lift the cheapest: http://www.mesa4x4.com/parts/daystar/da-kj04503.html

As far as how long it takes... probably mostly depends on how tough it is to remove your old bolts.

C

Didn't have to do anything to the fan shroud when I put the 1" BL on my 2.5L YJ. Had to cut the bottom of the fan shroud when we put the same lift on a buddies 4.0L YJ.

Given that the body bolts are not frozen, it should take you about 1 to 2 hours. Considerably longer if the body bolts are frozen. If you haven't had them off, spray the body bolts with PB Blaster a few times a day for several days before the BL install.

Watch the fan shroud and steering shaft for any interference. Make sure the shifter will engage all the gears if it's a manual on the floor. Same goes for the transfer case shifter.

Yeah i too like bounty did not have to adjust my fan shroud. If u have a t case drop u will probably have to trim away some of the metal behind the shifter. No big deal though, its pretty simple. I think mine took me about two hours including the cutting away of material from behind the shifter. Take bountys advice and spray every bolt down with a good lube.

I put a one inch puck lift on my 78 CJ-5. Some of the main problems I encountered was having to cut off the old mounts - on older Jeeps they freeze and rust. After I cut them off, getting the nut out of the rail on the under body took a lot of elbow grease, but it's a labor of love.

I don't know about the kit you're thinking about, but I had to cut the clutch linkage and weld in a one inch spacer, had to lower the bell crank an inch, had to bend the crap out of the linkage body-hole, and then had to stretch and work the gas tank filler hoses to get them to fit again.

All in all, it wasn't super difficult, but it more work then the ad said it would. It was, however, quality time with my Jeep...

I installed the Daystar kit on my CJ-7. It gives you all of a 1 inch lift, maybe more. I did not have to cut the body around the transfer case shifter. I did not lower the transfer case either. I do not have a fan shroud to mess with. You probably will have to modify the clutch linkage rod. And definately spray down those old nuts/bolts before you begin. It gets fun when they break off!

Back