Power steering, hissing sound when turning...

mopar_nerd

I have noticed a new hissing sound when I am turning the steering wheel to the right. I have checked the oil and it was slightly low, but I got no improvement when filling it. The weird thing is that sound is not noticeable the first couple of minutes. [addsig]

I had a similar problem with mine. It was working fine, but I was checking all my fluid levels and my power steering fluid was low so I added some and then it started hissing. I had it at Jeep to get something else fixed and I had them check it, but they said nothing is wrong with it. Just keep an eye on it if it starts acting up take it to a mechanic, or to be save take it now.[addsig]

ok, thanks for the reply! Could it be air in the hydraulic system somehow? According to the sound it might be... [addsig]

to bleed the system, take the cap off your pump, start the car, and turn the wheel bump-to-bump... it should clean all the air out...[addsig]

The old power steering pump in mine makes all kinds of interesting sounds. Sometimes the pump, the suspension, the locker and the M/T's harmonize with the stereo :-D [addsig]

MudDawg is all about Jeepen to the Beat. I like That. I just replaced the PS hoses on my ford and man it makes all sorts of strange sounds to. I just hope it keeps on sounding off and not go out and die on me. hehehehe tug ;-) [addsig]

My jeep has a new power steering pump. Back about six months ago I was driving and started hearing this strange sound...it was a bad churning/rattling noise that was in tune with the engine rpms. Once I got home I opened the hood to see that the pulley on the power steering pump was wobbling and making the noise. It had also sprayed fluid all over the inside of the hood. Well I took it off and pulled the pulley off to see the bearing cover all chewed up and the bearing blue from being roasted. Replacement pump set me back about $100 but comes with a lifetime warranty. No problems since.[addsig]

Hee hee hee...when i want quiet, smooth and boring i drive my S-10. ;-)

Wooo Hoooo!! It's friday!!! Gonna take Ol' Dawg out for a nice exfoliating mud bath tomorrow at Bubba's Mud Ranch and Spa....Heeee Heeee :evil:

Dawg [addsig]

Back