painless wiring harness

jeepofino

has anyone rewired a cj7 with the painless wiring harness. In replacing my blower motor with the blazer motor I had to also replace the heater core. While I had the dash out I wanted to clean up some old wiring and have succedded in really getting thing confused. I had something short out on the solenoid and burned some wires into. I'm thinking I've not got the wires back right going to the solenoid, starter, alternator. It cranks now but the alt. is not charging. Any suggestions???????

I installed a Painless harness a couple of months ago. I was on of the most helpful things I have ever done on my jeep. At the same time I installed an Optima battery and new battery cables. I got rid of the dried up, cracked, spliced and respiced, rat's nest that was 25 years old. I am much more confident about the electrical system now that every wire in my Jeep is new. I would recommend rewiring your Jeep, no matter who's harness your choose.

It sounds like you have your battery, starter, and the two solenoid actuating leads right. You probably don't have your wire from your alternator hooked up correctly. Make sure you have a heavy gauge wire leading from the post of your alternator to the same solenoid terminal as your positive battery cable. That's the way mine is hooked up and it works.

Does anybody know what the thin brown or black wire that goes between the alternator and the fuse block does? Just curious.

I am going from the hot post on battery to left side of solenoid(looking down at it). Also on this post is the wire going to the alternator and the red main wire going to the ignition. Out the other side of the solenoid I am going down to the starter. Maybe what I am not doing right is where the coil is connected???My blinkers will not work with the key on but will when you turn it off. I know it's probably my error but it's shore puzzlin"

What you described matches mine. I was just fixing some frayed/corroded connections yesterday so its fresh in my mind.

If you have the red main wire, the alternator, and the positive battery terminal all hooked to the same side of the solenoid, then you should have battery power to work your blinkers that way... I am puzzled too.

You said it will crank, does it run?

The motor will crank and run but the blinkers wil not work while it is running. Also it runs the battery down while it's running so I might have fried my alt. I still think I have something crossed making something still hot while the key is off. Hey if something is not really broke on a jeep don't fix it. the good thing is when I get it straight I will have stronger heat.

Back