overfilling automatic transmission

grooveman

I added transmission fluid to my 03 Wrangler X and after rechecking the level I realized I added a little too much fluid. It is slightly above the hot mark just about where the twist starts on the dipstick. Is this going to hurt anything? I couldnt locate the drain plug. Thanks much.

Change wrangler Serpendine Belt

I wouldn't worry too much about it if you are a little high. Automatic transmissions do not have drain plugs. you have to drop the pan to drain fluid.

Doesn't sound like you've got very much overfill in it anyway. Now, if it's flowing out of the fill tube, that's when I'd do something about it (I've seen it before, and she wasn't blond...or a chick....it was a guy in a 3-piece suit in a Jag).

All you have to do to drain some out is disconnect one of the transmission line's and drain a little out. Dont waste your time dropping the pan.

RE: Timken VS. Koyo

Or stick a hose down the dipstick tube and start sucking.
(that sounds bad)

Don't tell them at the dealership if it's still under warranty. It should say in the owners manual to not overfill the automatic transmission. I can't really remember why, but I know you aren't supposed to......something about the fluid foaming.

Back