No trackbars

JE420EP

So i have heard two different things about trackbars. Some people say you need them in a bad way. That you would be all over the road. Then i know people that don't have ether front or rear on and thay say it drives great on the road thay can't feel the difference. So what is the real deal.[addsig]

Haha you got me man.. but i think I'll keep mine for now until we get some more responses
image-missing.png
[addsig]

if u have a TJ u must have them ... they keep ur axles in line ........

u will be all over the road in a TJ without them...

if it's a YJ u don't need them cause ur leaf springs will keep them inline...

plus when u get a YJ to flex hard sometimes they will rip the mounts off the frame and you get better flex with out them.... with a YJ it drives the same....

so what do u have

CJs didn't have trackbars
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Ok I hear you 1bigmf and I trust your words when it comes to suspension sytem questions. I have a YJ and have thought about takeing off my trackbars was a bit unsure as to what kind of trouble this would cause. So if I take my front and rear off that will not hurt the handling of the street ride and will give me better trail preformance to? Is this a clear thought on the trackbars deal? Why did they put them on in the first place? Has anyone else taken the track bars off and what do you feel about the absents of them! Thanks in advance Tug![addsig]

I took off the track bar in the rear and I could tell a difference in the handling. If you are only around town going 30 mph, not much difference. But on the highway there is definetly a difference. I don't have either connected and now the Jeep hardy handles at all. I am pretty sure that the handling would return with the track bars attached again. We are designing our own track bar disconnects that will hopefully work better than the ones you can buy, since with those you have tie up the track bar otherwise risk it hitting something on the trail. I would do a simple pull pin disconnect if you are at or near stock height. This will allow you to gain A LOT of articulation off the road and still maintain handling on the road.[addsig]

I removed the front trac bar on my 93 YJ and it was all over the road. Every little bump I hit the front axle would shift from side to side which made the steering wheel turn. When I turned right, the axle would shift to the right and stay there until I turned left, then the axle would shift to the left...everytime the axle would shift, the steering wheel would be way out of alignment. I had to jack up the front end by the bumper and push the axle till the steering wheel was centered and reinstall the trac bar and the problem was solved. I've heard from other guys that they noticed hardly any difference in handling at all without the trac bar in. I think it depends on how stiff your springs are (how much they will move from side to side), the size of your lift and your shackles. I had revolver shackles so mabye mine handled so bad because of these.[addsig]

yes BLACKJEEP but u did a spring over axles on your jeep before u took them off (true)..

a spring over already makes ur ride soft,,, way softer the under axle....

the trackbars were a test of what was to come (like on the TJs)

you don't have to side with me but on your spring over i was giving your partner step by step instructions and i also hear you are new to this world ... i was glad to see u go for it (SOA) and hope u put it out there and show them how it's done

the only way to know i guess would be to take them off... i'm not just here to give bad advice ...

no an SOA my ride is soft but tracbars are not for me and i'm able to drive at 85 mph for 1000 miles a week
image-missing.png

TUG-N-PULL thanx

i just try to help where i can

hey mabe someday i'll run up there and hit the trails with yall .. i will drive almost anywhere to wheel...but i live in texas and i hate the cold so let me know when it hits 80 up there
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Imagine the Jeep sliding sideways or at an angle, the body is trying to flex the springs sideways (twist) the body is moving farther and farther off the center line of the axles (trak), the body is trying to lean (sway), then the inside tires get light from the lean and the whole works unwinds. I guess this condition could be called articulation, I´d call it double saldo.
image-missing.png

It´s sure enough a defintion of live axles, maybe a little to lively.[addsig]

OK I feel so confused now! Back to normal.
image-missing.png

I like the idea of the discos and being able to have my cake and eat it too. Let me know when you get this new design figured out. I am not that mechanicly smart so I am doing as much research as I can to get the best mods lined up so I don't have to do them all over and again.

Mudderchuck you scare me too! Thanks for all the info now! I just need to set and figure out what I need to do.

Later Tug

[addsig]

I guess I´ll always think like a road racer. But no matter how much off roading you do, most of the driving will be on the streets. By keeping all four wheels on the ground and the body as flat (and stable) as possible, I feel confident of controling most skids.

Even off road (I drive to fast), I´ve gotten into trouble more times with sliding sideways, than most anything else. Having all four on the ground (articulation) for max tracktion is nice, but rarley necessary.

I´d be much more likely to add some skid pans, axle trusses, or really good shocks than remove my trak bar. But I have on occasion taken the sway bar off, for short periods.

But then again, I do alot of driving at high speeds and have never really been comfortable driving anything with a really short wheelbase. I like them as stable as possible. I most always, manage to deal with the off-road obsticales somehow (replace alot of mufflers).[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE> if u have a TJ u must have them ... they keep ur axles in line ........

u will be all over the road in a TJ without them...

if it's a YJ u don't need them cause ur leaf springs will keep them inline...

plus when u get a YJ to flex hard sometimes they will rip the mounts off the frame and you get better flex with out them.... with a YJ it drives the same....

so what do u have

CJs didn't have trackbars
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

This guy knows what he is talking about
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Ok so many stories so many opinios. Im not bragging by any means but on my 87YJ I took the front and rear bars off. I had my 680lb 4-wheeler a generator icechest numerous tools and a pickup bed toolbox on my 5x10 trailer at 60 to 70 miles an hour up hills and around curves and actually noticed no difference at all. Now then was all the wind noise and stereo attracting my attention I dont know but I actually felt safe thats just my 2cents worth.[addsig]

Track bars simply prevent the axle from moving side to side under the Jeep.

You don't really need the rear track bar because the axle tracks straight behind the solid spring hangers.

You need the front for two reasons:

The axle does not necessarily track straight due to the axle tracking behind shackles and not solid spring hangers, the shackles allow side to side movement to be introduced.

And the steering inputs side to side motion to the front axle.

I run without the rear trackbar or the front swaybar. It's not a sports car, don't drive it like one.[addsig]

I took my rear track bar off of my YJ when I put my 4inch lift on...I used the bracket in the front to relocate it but just went ahead and took the back one off. Its not real noticable unless you are at highway speeds....back when my jeep worked I was on the highway doin about 60 and came up on a car to pass...well when I went to pass him somehow I could tell things got shifted funky or something...I almost went off the road...pretty scary. That was the same day my transmission broke but I haven't forgot about it....I am gonna figure out a way to put my rear track bar back on..for sure.[addsig]

1bigmf-

Wasn't arguing with you, just giving my opinion on the track bars and what it did on my Jeep. I would rather keep them off and not have to worry about disconnecting them at all, but since I do drive the Jeep everyday, I do need it to handle as well.

I guess I should say this-

It all depends on what is done to your Jeep, if you are at stock height then the difference isn't going to be much if at all. But everytime you do something on the suspension, (ex. shackles, SOA, bigger tires ect...) you change how it is going to handle. Best thing to do I would say is to get some disconnects, that way you can have the best of both worlds-

P.S.- without the track bar in the rear and the custom shock set-up, there is about 15-16" of travel/articulation in the rear axle on my Jeep
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Jks makes a telosoping tac bar for the front on yj it is $199 and slides inside of itself when a bolt on a johnny joint is loosend i Have the front one good investment but i cant tell a difference when its loose or not the real big differnce comes when you get rid or disconnet you sway bars jks makes the disconects for those to they are around a hundred dollars but a pain in the ass to but back together after they are loose

marc[addsig]

no pro BIGBLACKJEEP a lot of factors go into it .... hey and i love your jeep it is sit up just like i had mine ,,,,it ran great . trackbars , no trackbars ,,,, hard core ,,, soft core ,,, it always comes down to how u want it .... 1 more time CJs no trackbars ,,, YJs a more everyday person jeep .... they were about the same (YJ&CJ7) Length and width and leaf springs .... now is someone saying trackbars stop bumpsteer ... cause thats not true... the only thing that does that is a shackle reverse and thats are only way out ... oops we could all buy TJS
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

1BMF

All good, I know a lot of things factor into the sway of the vehicle. I figured with the shackles I have it is causing some of the sway that I have now- sure does have nice articulation right now though without the track bars!!!
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png

I would like some bigger tires to fill the added room I have, but that also means different gears, have to wait a little bit on those-

[addsig]

Back