New Tires, Part Deux

Ok...so, I've got the 31x10.50's....I addressed a few of the issues in the other thread, but figured this would take a new one. Sorry if I'm filling the board with too many.

First, the rub at full lock on turning: I'm thinking I should either adjust the steering stops or get spacers for the wheels. Right now I'm leaning toward spacers, as the rub occurs with less turning of the wheel than I originally thought. The reason I'd go with spacers is to maintain my turning radius. Sunshine and I did a little wheeling Saturday, and I just felt like I was losing too much of my turning radius when I'd avoid rubbing the tires on the springs. The tires already stick out about 1/2" past the flares and sling a generous amount of mud (ask Sunshine about mudding without the doors and windows). So, a spacer is only going to increase that amount by a little bit. I say it's already slinging mud, what's the problem with a little more? And, should I space both front and rear, or just the front?

Second, the flare rubs on the rear: At full stock flex (which is embarrassingly little), the rear tires tick the very bottom rear corner of the flares. Not an issue, really. I'm working on getting some lift shackles from a fellow Jeepz member this week or next. I'm betting that will cure that problem. If not, I could either go with TJ flares or just do some trimming, or just wait for the 2" lift later this year (more than likely).

Third, the power drain: I knew the bigger tires would cut my power and mileage, and really didn't cut it as much as I'd expected. I'd rather have traction than a lot of zip-a-dee-doo-dah from the engine. What are my options on a '94 YJ with 60,000 miles on the 4 cyl 2.4L engine with FI for a bit more power and economy? K&N filter? Different exhaust? How much $ for those?

I'm very impressed with the ride, handling, and noise level. These Mud Kings are by far the quietest MT's I've ever run, even quieter than my old BFG's. That's kind of a let down...I like to hear that "highway howl"!

Any opinions from the audience of experts?

Sparky,

what kind of wheels are you running? Stock 15x7? I'd just adjust the steering stops. You'll get used to the lack of turn radius. I wouldn't worry about the rear flare rub. Will not be an issue with lift shackles or more lift. If you really want to spend $, you could get some TJ flares. That will solve the issue. Or just cut the flares... that's free.

Finally, yes, a K&N filter will help a little ($40). The muffler will help a lot. I run a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler ($42 muffler only). These two combined will make a difference. I can still use 5th gear with 33's on flat land (but on hills.... 3rd or 4th gear is necessary).

Corey

Thanks. Yeah, I've still got the stock 15x7 wheels. I don't know if I want to get used to a reduced turning radius. Now when I go places in my wife's Camry, I dang near hit cars when turning into parking spaces because I'm so used to the tight turn of my YJ. Still open to discussion and opinions, however. It ain't done till it's done, know what I mean? Even if I do opt for the spacers, it's gonna be a few weeks. Or, if I opt for adjusting the steering stops, it'll be a few weeks, too. My back is out again, so I'm in no shape to be crawling around on the garage floor yanking on wrenches!

Dont be too disapointed that those new tires are quiet. My MTs were quiet when i first got them too. But now, with about 16k miles on them, you can hear them from waaaaay off. :D gotta love it!!

Nathan

Adjusting the steering stops takes 10 minutes. You can change it back in the same amount of time to the factory settings. Try it, if ya hate it, get spacers, wheels, or whatever.

simple instruction here:
http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/steer/steerstop/

and here:
http://www.imajeep.com/Steering_Stop_Adjust/adjusting_steering_stop.htm

Remove the factory airflow restrictor (the tube inside the tube that goes between the airbox and the intake), get a drop-in K&N air filter. The biggest difference that I had was from femoving the belt driven fan and installing an electric one. YOu can use one from a junked ford taurus (someone else will have to post what year works best, or buy a much more expensive aftermarket one (Flex-a-lite FLX-475). I went the Flex-a-lite route, but the other way works just as good if you make your own brackets, etc.
Lots of little things you can do, none will make it a rocket, but all together they make a big difference.

Has anyone got any experience with the "Tornado" fuel saver? It's a small component with tilted fins much like a fan, only they don't turn, that fits into the airflow tube between the filter and the intake. It's supposed to create a spinning flow of air, which in turn creates better atomization of the fuel. They claim up to 38% better mileage, as well as better HP. They run around $70, but I figured I could make one a lot cheaper myself.

The tornado looks like a good way to clog up the intake to me-look at it and ask yourself how your engine is going to get more air. A throttle body pacer that has a spiraled opening is supposed to do the samr thing. I don't know how well they worl either but they make a little more sense.

TwistedCopper said:
The tornado looks like a good way to clog up the intake to me-look at it and ask yourself how your engine is going to get more air. A throttle body pacer that has a spiraled opening is supposed to do the samr thing. I don't know how well they worl either but they make a little more sense.
See, that's what I was thinking. It looks like it would restrict airflow to me. Now, if the fins actually turned like a fan, that wouldn't be nearly as restrictive, but I don't see how it's supposed to keep the air spinning all the way back to the throttle body. I was just wondering if anyone had tried it. I sent the ad to our local news station for them to try. They do investigative reports on stuff like that, then broadcast the results each week. I haven't heard back from them yet.

Now, if the fins actually turned like a fan, that wouldn't be nearly as restrictive, but I don't see how it's supposed to keep the air spinning all the way back to the throttle body.

That's it Sparky. It doesn't.
To be effective it would have to maintain that spin until the point that the fuel was introduced to it. That's all the way at the engine side of the intake manifold on a MPFI. That is the reason I don't believe all those spiraled TB spacers work. I can't see spirals or steps or whatever making a difference when the air still has to make a series of turns to reach the point at which atomization occurs. I think it's just a way for companies to separate their product from others. I want to see a company test their special spacer and then test the exact same spacer without the spiral or grooves machined in.

I sent the ad to our local news station for them to try. They do investigative reports on stuff like that, then broadcast the results each week. I haven't heard back from them yet.

It probably depends on what they test it on. Over a carb or even a TBI setup, It really could make a difference......I doubt 38% fuel savings type difference though.

Ok, I got 1/4" spacers on the front wheels, still had a major rub on the springs. The tires hit right on the wrap brace on the springs, both front and back end of the springs. So, I added some washers to the steering stops. It took one 1/8" washer on the right side, but two on the left side. As far as I can see, that's not gonna cause any problems, right? I mean, from what I can see, the stops only hit on one side at a time, so having them adjusted to different positions is ok, right? I know, it'll make the left vs right turn radius different, but that's a negligible difference anyway. Man, I'd lost a lot of radius with just the tires and no spacers/stop adjustment!!!

Anyway, we've gotten 2.6" of rain since about 1:30am. You all know what that means!!!!!! I'M GOIN' MUDDIN'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back