New tires on stock rims

JimLox

I have a 2004 Wrangler. Do I have to buy new rims when I get bigger tires?

Attachments

• JJJ.jpg
    JJJ.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 6,287

Regarding the rims alone, it's more the width of the new tire that you want to look at than anything else. If, for instance, you have an 8" (wide) rim, then you could put a 12.50" width tire on it, but that would be about it. A 10.50" would be a better fit (I'm ignoring backspacing issues here), and something wider than 12.50" would be too wide, I would think. Regarding diameter of the tire, there's no absolute limit, although a rule of thumb that I've heard is that for decent street performance, you want the rim to be no less than about half the diameter of the tire. Having said that, you'll get better off road performance with a smaller diameter rim relative to the tire's diameter. If you are asking about tire clearance in the fenderwells, then that is really a "how much lift" question, rather than a rim question. There are tons of posts on that issue.

you could put up to a 35.5" tall tire on there. Interco makes a Q78 which measures 35.5" tall and 11.5" wide, I run them on 8" wide rims and actually think the rim is a little wide, especially at around 4psi.

one thing to keep in mind is, you will have to look into wheel spacer, with a tire that is taller, and not wider, will probably run on control arms when at full Lock.

Back