need to id a jeep... please help

WallyBman

Lone Peak 4 wheelers web site

ok, here's the deal, i've always wanted a jeep, and when this high school chick came buy the house selling raffle tickets to win a "88 jeep wagoneer".. well, i won... here's the deal, it is(as far as i can tell) an 88 model, 4.0L, automatic cherokee 4 door... the owners manual lists the two door as a cherokee and the 4 door as the cherokee wagoneer... what is the chasis code? what do i order parts for??? i would like to do some work on it, maybe make it a little more offroad capable, but still able to tow my bikes... this is my first jeep.. wanted a wrangler, but for 50 bucks, and as good condition (great condition, awesome actually, but TWEED interior, in a JEEP????)as this thing is in, i'm freakin thrilled..

thanks in advance for any help.

wally

get a pic ? Sounds like you got some good axles for a yj.
Maybe chop it and tube it out. :)

That bodystyle Cherokee will often be referred to as an "XJ" (all mid size cherokees of that bodystyle are). The "wagoneer" part is probably just referring to the 4 doors and/or trim package. Most parts will be the same as the 2 door, with very few exceptions (longer driveshaft for example).

Congrats on winning a Jeep! the Xj's can be made VERY trail-capable. As a matter of fact they do pretty good stock from what I've seen in pics on this site.

Welcome to Jeepz and keep us posted on how she comes along! Lots of good people and info on this site!

The wagoneer model had some fake wood grain on the side and some had a different grill. Other than that all the parts are the same. Just order them for a 4 door Cherokee for the same year.

It's an XJ Wagoneer, as the SJ Wagoneer of similar years usually had the v8 and never a 4.0L. It's simply a Cherokee, and the 'Wagoneer' is a trim package.

What are the best bull bars other than ARB?

Welcome to the board!!!!!! I grew up with a 88' wagoneer as of family vehicle. If its in as good condition as you say, Ive seen some go for some real good money. You could keep it or sell it and buy wrangler.

Back