I guess it's time for new ring and pinions...

jfrabat

DSC_0284-1.jpg

DSC_0285-1.jpg

DSC_0286-1.jpg

DSC_0287-1.jpg

DSC_0288-1.jpg

I know it's a bad install, so don't even mention it (I'll just get even MORE PO'd!). Luckily, I had an extra set laying around, so it's going in. The Jeep was actually driving, but it was making an odd sound (listen here) when under load (in the sound clip, you can hear me open the door, stick my phone under the Jeep, then accelerate, coast, accelerate, coast, then bring the phone back inside).

It's already getting fixed, and, in a way, I am kind of glad it's poor labor and not ANOTHER thing acting up all on its own, as, when this is fixed, the Jeep is going to be running quite nicely, I feel (I think I got most of the bugs worked out: just gotta install the new fan controller, and make sure the ignition is all worked out now, and it's up and running!).

At least your magnetic drain plug is working as it should.:) Good luck with the repair, sucks having your favorite toy broken (ask me how I know), my clutch linkage is broken at the moment.

Did you do the install yourself?

Ring and pinion work is one of the things I've yet to tackle yet. I tend to do things 2 or 3 times (i.e. my continual ball joint replacement) before getting them right, and I don't think pinion work would be very forgiving.

No, I am not doing the install myself. I took it to the same shop that did it the previous time, as they screwed up last time, and they have to make it up. You can see in the poor wear pattern in the pics...

Back