Hi

STEW

hi all,
haven't been on the forum for ages, been helping a mate build his AC Cobra, but i am just about to spend a fortune on my CJ changing the springs, suspension, shocks, shackles etc, probably change the windscreen too as that has rotted out, I say that, but that is only if i can figure out how to get those damn torx bolts out.

Stew:???:

Get yourself a good set of torx sockets, a socket wrench, breaker bar, pb blaster, and another set of hands.

Spray the crap out of the bolts and pray some of that stuff gets in those little cracks. Have your friend hold the head of the socket wrench on the torx screw and you put some pressure on the breaker bar.

I stripped one, then I figured that method out... worked for me.

Welcome back Stew.

I replaced the windshield frame on my old CJ - the torx are impossible without a good torx socket of the right size (it's ease to use a smaller one by accident).

You could try something like this:
Grizzly G4414 Screw Grab . - Compare & Buy at the Lowest Price - Pronto.com - Best Prices
It's ok, and does help I guess, but is no replacement for good tools. Also, don't put torx back, just use a hex head.

I bought my windshield from JC whitney:
BOLT-ON HEAVY-GAUGE STEEL WINDSHIELD FRAME - JCWhitney Jeep Parts

If your'e planning on painting it after all the work, then you can use a little heat on the bolts. Heat it, let it cool, remove.
If you strip one out, you have two options. One is to use a drill the diameter of the bolt (1/4, 5/16 or whatever) and drill through the center of the head until it comes off (spins). Then remove the windshield and soak the stud with penetrating oil and try to remove the leftover stud with vice grips. Usually with the head off, the oil can get in there.
Last method is to hold a similar size nut over the bolthead and weld it on through the center of the nut. THen you can take a wrench to it.

A impact driver usually works really well on these also. It basically looks like a bulky screw driver, but you preload it and smack it with a hammer, the shock will help break them loose.

Back