Hi Lift Question

Jason4x4

I got a Hi Lift jack and a Tough Stuff hood rack for Christmas, and I was just wondering if it would be ok to leave the jack mounted on the hood. I'm concerned about rain/snow rusting or otherwise damaging the jack. Are there any precautions I should take, or will the jack be ok out in the elements?

unfortunately the jack will rust, so will the bolts I got from hi-lift for my swing arm mounts, try coating the hi-lift with a clear coat of some sort.

probably more than you want to spend but I have two suggestions

1. have the jack powder coated, that will keep it from rusting.
2. You can get the spray-plastic/rubberized coating in a spray can in different colors and clear from Plasti-Dip

image-missing.png

about $8 a can
I got some in white and fixed the wifes dishwasher rack with it. it's tuff stuff

So is the red powder coat that it came in not good enough?

Edit: Now includes picture!

Attachments

• jeep108sm.JPG
    jeep108sm.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 1,353
Last edited:

You never mentioned it being powder coated from the factory and I didn't know it was.

I do know that I build a small line of truck accessories and I have a local powder coater do all of my steel for me and some of them have been out since last March in the 5th wet-est year in history for our area and no rust.

now if you chip powder coat, if you don't touch it up, rust will start.
I had my hi-lift on the front of my bumper and rock chips were bad and I had to touch it up every year.
as long as moisture stays away from bare steel, you'll be fine.

If you jack is factory powder coated, I wouldn't worry about it:D

in a few years you might have to do some touch up, until then....don't sweat it;)

If you're overly concerned with rust and exposure to the elements, you could buy a black plastic case to put your Hi-Lift jack into. Quadratec.com sells them, as do other suppliers. I don't know if a case will fit your hood rack, but it's worth looking into.

My farm jack (not the Hi-Lift brand, but same design and function) is mounted to my rear uprights of the roll/sports cage. Total price for the parts was around $10. Plus, the soft top and hard top fit over the mounted jack, protecting it from the elements (when a top is on, of course).

Attachments

• IMG_1739_Edit.jpg
    IMG_1739_Edit.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 685
If you're overly concerned with rust and exposure to the elements, you could buy a black plastic case to put your Hi-Lift jack into. Quadratec.com sells them, as do other suppliers. I don't know if a case will fit your hood rack, but it's worth looking into.

My farm jack (not the Hi-Lift brand, but same design and function) is mounted to my rear uprights of the roll/sports cage. Total price for the parts was around $10. Plus, the soft top and hard top fit over the mounted jack, protecting it from the elements (when a top is on, of course).

can you explain how you mounted that. i got a 48" for christmas, and this is exactly what i was looking for.

Buy a can of black(or red) paint and keep it touched up. I have stuff powdercoated all the time, and while it's a great protective coating, it will chip on something that gets used like a jack will. Keep some fresh paint on it and rust won't be a concern.

Besides, 99% of the time, a Hi-lift is just decoration anyway. My last one got chunked in the woods. $100 POS... hardcore hood ornaments.:lol:

I've got mine mounted like dandoc's, and it has always worked when needed. The majority of jacks I see mounted on the outside generally fail when needed most. Mount it inside if you want reliability from your hilift.

That said, if you keep the jacks working parts maintained with a good water repellant/lubricant, it should work okay. I would say that's gotta be risky to the paint every time you install/remove the jack, and it's not exactly pleasing to the eye (mine anyway).

Hi-Lift Mount

I can't remember where I read about this inexpensive method of mounting a farm jack, but it certainly works! Your local "we've got-it-all" hardware store should have the parts necessary for the job.

Note the limited available space around the edge of the base-plate and the inside lip of the Jeep tub. To avoid potentially tearing a soft top, and to ensure you can remove the jack with a hard top installed, I suggest removing the base-plate and storing it elsewhere in your jeep. Enjoy! :)

Attachments

• mount_diagram_small.jpg
    mount_diagram_small.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 1,073
  • IMG_1722_small.jpg
    IMG_1722_small.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 602
  • IMG_1732_small.jpg
    IMG_1732_small.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 598
  • IMG_1739_Edit.jpg
    IMG_1739_Edit.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 556
Did mine with ubolts and wingnuts, but same idea. Mine is out, used, and put away while others are still working on getting their jack out.

Keep a small bottle of oil in the Jeep to lube the jack's lock mechanism before use. You won't regret it. Motor oil also works great in a pinch.
BTW...Daystar and others make a great jack handle isolator that keeps the handle from rattling. Better sanity saver than anything.

Keep a small bottle of oil in the Jeep to lube the jack's lock mechanism before use. You won't regret it. Motor oil also works great in a pinch.
BTW...Daystar and others make a great jack handle isolator that keeps the handle from rattling. Better sanity saver than anything.

You probably couldn't tell in the picture I posted, but I do have a Daystar handle isolator installed. Had to trim the underside to get the jack to sit flush on the hood rack, but it works fine.

I had a cover on mine. It allowed moisture to get in and stay. I had a lot of rust when I uncovered it. I prefer to leave mine out in the elements now. If it needs it, I'll touch it up.

RedRooster and Bounty_Hunter are right. Keep it lubricated and take some with you. It will always work then. Another suggestion... Learn how to use it when you don't need it. Then when you do need to use it, you'll know how!

Re: Hi-Lift Mount

I can't remember where I read about this inexpensive method of mounting a farm jack, but it certainly works! Your local "we've got-it-all" hardware store should have the parts necessary for the job.

Note the limited available space around the edge of the base-plate and the inside lip of the Jeep tub. To avoid potentially tearing a soft top, and to ensure you can remove the jack with a hard top installed, I suggest removing the base-plate and storing it elsewhere in your jeep. Enjoy! :)

awesome, i have been looking at all the possibilities of where to put it, and this is exactly what i was looking for. thanks

Back