Help!! Whistling when going up hill, loss of acceleration

memsiej

Yesterday I cleaned my IAC and replaced my TPS. I STARTED to work on the valve cover gasket but didn't have the right socket.
Drove my 92 (automatic) to work this morning and going uphill I noticed a high pitched noise, only when accelerating. Kind of like a whistling/grinding maybe? It stopped when I took my foot off the gas. Up the really big hill, however, towards the top it felt like I was losing power. Like I was foot fully on the gas but was decreasing in speed. What happened? What could this be? Did I mess up putting anything back together with the system I was working on? Hoping to get some leads before I leave work today so I know whether to take it to the shop near here or take it home to work on.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 8.08.32 AM.png
This vacuum hose (?) seems loose, and the next one has a tiny crack in it. (Not the phoso of my actual jeep, photo stolen from the internet).
Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 8.08.06 AM.png

Pretty sure its a vacuum leak, that cracked hose is a good place to start also the loose hose.

I hope this helps.

Vac leak Being you cleaned the IAC did it go back together without damaging the o ring? Did you remove the TB? It only takes a small leak to whistle but loss of power is a bit bigger leak.
To find it let the engine idle and slowly spray WD40 or carb cleaner on the vac lines and connections. Also at the TB and each cylinder of the engine where the intake meets the head. If the idle changes while spraying you found a leak. There may be more than one.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

vacuum leak is knee jerk answer to whistle and power loss.

Its a 92 not a great OBD but try to get codes.
JPN's suggestion to use spray to locate vac leaks - a easy fast trick try it.

I replaced the TB gasket, and that helped the whistle, but there's still a BIT of loss of acceleration when going uphill. I used to be able to gun it and pass people going uphill, but now I'm flooring it and feel like I'm barely making it.

Do easy simple first -

Again check for any codes - take advantage of the OBD..

Fuel pressure check a basic FI check. post PSI.

How would memsiej check for codes on his 92 ? is it the same way most jeeps are done, byturning the ignition on and off three times and the code or codes display in the trip meter area. also not everyone has a fuel pressure gauge in their tool box or live near a service center/repair shop. Just to keep giving you ideas memsiej when was the last time you replaced your fuel filter ?

Pretty sure 1992 is OBD1 std Chrysler system and key trick should work .
1992 Is not the earlier RENIX system.

Fuel pressure is a BASIC check for all fuel injected engines.

A ruler to measure.
Cut the wood a saw.
Drive a nail a hammer.
You will need tools for auto repair - guessing gets expensive

And agree fuel filter -often ignored - a good suggestion.

Back