Heater install

AFGopher

Hey fellas, anybody had to put back in the factory heater that someone had pulled out of your jeep? I bought mine with it all removed and now need to reinstall it. I'll be taking the opportunity to replace the heater core while I'm at it. I have the under dash portion of the heating system and plan on upgrading the heater motor in the process of this install.

My Jeep has a SBC 350 swapped in, so I have no idea where any of the hoses are supposed to go. Does anybody have a motor shot they could post? If possible, can you label the hoses via edit before you post? This would be extremely helpful. Thanks in advance.

I'm trying to inventory all the parts required now, to see what I have to buy. The winter is quickly upon me here in Wyoming and the wind blows here continuously.

Thanks.

2 heater hoses, 1 from the bypass line coming from the water pump and the other from the intake manifold. It doesn't matter which one goes where on the heater core as long as it circulates thru it. The resistor block i think is a 3 wire connector and a 2 wire for the blower. Note the placements of the screws and bolts on the Heating box unit so you would know where to fasten them when you lay the box in the bulkhead of the firewall. If you want a more efficient and easy install along with more bulkhead space, i replaced my unit with a 12,000btu unit from 4WD hardware. It's smaller in size but has a better output . The downside is the ductworks. I had to make my own or you could purchase the plenum separately for the unit.

Damn man, that sounds like some work. Was it the heater core you replaced or the blower motor? I was planning on upgrading the blower motor and just using the stock core (a new one of course). I think I have to get the control cables too. Time to go dig through the parts bin that came with the jeep.

I completely removed the entire heater unit with all the controls and blower motor and replaced it with the 12,000 btu unit from 4wd hardware and it was a quarter of the size from the original heater box. This enabled me to have a water proof locking glove box where the Radio, C.B. and bose amp. to be hidden with all the extra room. Also, the Bose subwoofer is tucked under the dash.

.....and don't forget the one nut underneath the battery tray, at least there was one on mine that drove me mushugna till I found it

Hmmm it seems I had to pull away the dash panel too, and the glove compartment......I forget. The service manual doesn't mention that it's nesseasary. Thinking of doing mine soon to upgrade to the GM fan motor.

Hmmm it seems I had to pull away the dash panel too, and the glove compartment......I forget. The service manual doesn't mention that it's nesseasary. Thinking of doing mine soon to upgrade to the GM fan motor.
You shouldn't have to pull the dash or the glove box,but that may make it easier to get the heater box on place. Right on about the bolt under the battery box that one gets me every time....there's also one that likes to hide right behind the straight six valve cover.:roll:

Good to know, thanks a lot Tom :) to move that dash on mine, I'd hafta unbolt the 6 pt rollcage (only 1/2" clearance)

Finally got the heater box shoved against the firewall. After more than a few attempts I remembered that one must start with the bolt hole (positioned at 11:00 from the heater motor when looking aft) and press the heater box in and up to get that bolt to protrude through the firewall, then the rest go right in

Urrgh forgot to re attach the rightmost cable clip the the passenger flapper door before install. Was a bugger to get snapped on.

Back