Hard to get out of 4WD

84_CJ7

After years of relatively few problems with my CJ7, things are starting to give me trouble. I have a T176 transmission with a Dana 20 and after a hard pull in 4WD I have great difficulty getting it back to 2X. What should I look at first to determine the cause? No clutch slippage (but I believe it to be next...out of adjustments), and performs great while in 4X.[addsig]

Welcome to the board. I have in the past made a few new member mad. I wear kid gloves these days so please do not take anything I say to heart. You are an honored person here as a new face or raterh voice. OK!

Your Jeep does not want to go back to the road! It likes to play. The older they get the more worn into an off road mind set they become. I would love to say just kidding but I aint. There is nothing more than wear showing and it is most likely time to give the ol transfer case a bit of TLC. In the form of a fluid change, a few new parts and a pat on the back. Basicly an overhaul. tug[addsig]

A fluid change is on for this weekend! I was going that route anyway but wanted to hear if any of the more seasoned users had any tips or things to watch for. I'll try the fluid change first and see if I notice any difference - if not, well, back to work...
Thanks for the reply, Tug.

Scott[addsig]

I believe you have a Dana 300 transfer case in that truck. I have run two trucks in the past with this case and both are hard to get out of 4wd. These gear driven transfer cases tend to get bound up after being in 4wd for long periods of time. The most common cause is running on firm ground with little slippage. The slight differences in tire diameters due to were and tire pressure causes the front wheels and the rear wheels to turn at slightly different speeds cause pressure to build up on the gears. If your done four wheelin for the day try unlocking you hubs before you shift out of 4wd.
If your just running a road for a short time and dont want to get out to unlock you have to run the truck in reverse about 20 feet or so to unbind the x-case. If I am not mistaken it mensions this in your original owners manual. :) [addsig]

Thanks for the info. You're right, it is a Dana 300 - don't know what I was thinking. I should have thought about reverse. Had a Blazer years ago that HAD to be put in reverse to get out of 4X.

Scott[addsig]

Hey Scott I am glad some one knew the answer. I still believe it just like 4x4 better than the road gears thought. ;-) later tug[addsig]

The fluid change didn't make any considerable difference except giving me peace of mind. Fluid was clean. Still wanted to stay in 4X - however - put it in reverse, went about 10 feet and it went in 2X every time. Thanks for the refresher course!

Scott[addsig]

Glad to hear it Scott, I'll have to remember that the next time I'm out. I usually just try to slip it back into 2 while easing off of the clutch. :cool: [addsig]

Back