Gurgling Noise

GreenMonstah97

ok I did do a quick search for this problem but I didnt see anything so here goes.

I have a 97 grand cherokee 4.0L and Im assuming I know the problem but before I go putting the part in Id like to know im in the right direction here. I bought this jeep back in the begining of August 2008 and I have this noise that I have had since I bought it and it has gotten more frequent. Ive done a search online for this problem and have ready about other cars and they all said the same thing. I have a gurgling/sloshing noise sounding like its coming from the dash when I accelerate from a stop or a steady speed(like passing someone on the highway). My coolant is full and has been burped as I changed out my water pump a few days ago. My temp is sitting where it always has right around 205 and I dont have any leaks from anywhere, however the last few days my heat is becoming less and less and as it is now is BARELY pushing out ANY warm air. I am assuming that the sloshing noise is some kind of air in the heater core which I would have burped to solve the problem but Im thinking now with the loss of heat that this has actually cause my heater core to fail. I have purchased a heater core already and I am planning to do that this weekend and Im just wondering since you guys seem to know about this stuff if this sounds like what could have happened. Thnx for your help in advance! :)

Check the pass. side carpet as well, it may be wet and/or moldy underneath. I got this info from another site, covers this very common problem:

This is one that quite a few people have problems with. Someone at Jeep thought it convenient to run the condensate drain into the longitudinal beam of the vehicle frame. Thus, you won't find a drain tube poking out anywhere under the vehicle. You'll find this design on 1993 though 1996 Grand Cherokee.

The main problem stems from the fact that the air intake grill outside the vehicle is not fine enough to capture as much debris as it should. Twigs, pine needles, etc, pass through the intake screen and clog the drain. And yes, there's an updated intake screen to lessen the possibility or another blockage. This clogged drain condition can lead to odor, sloshing sound in evaporator box and wet floorboard.

Here's the Gary Harrison method to get that condensate drain flowing again.

1. Pull the carpet on front passenger side back to expose the circular duct at the base of the firewall.
2. Drill a 1/4" hole in the center of the circular duct outlet. Water may
run out when you drill this opening.
3. Run a coat hanger wire or similar through the drilled hole, and down the tube to "rod" it out. Outlet is forward and slightly downward.
4. After clearing the drain, fashion a plug from some handy material. Parts stores have various size rubber plugs. Hot melt glue might work.

Chrysler has a Technical Service Bulletin for drain blockage.
See TSB: 24-06-96

Affected Models:

1993 - 1996 (ZJ) Grand Cherokee / Grand Wagoneer
1993 - 1996 (ZG) Grand Cherokee (Outside U.S.)

Chrysler has a Technical Service Bulletin for an updated cowl screen.
See TSB: 24-17-97
Affected Models:

1993 - 1996 (ZJ) Grand Cherokee / Grand Wagoneer
1993 - 1996 (ZG) Grand Cherokee (Outside U.S.)

We've included some photos to show you what the drain looks like.
image1-2.jpg

Photo above shows the approximate location where the 1/4" hole is to be drilled.

A few more pics here: Print Article - Condensate Drain on Jeep Grand Cherokee

WK(Grand Cherokee) are notorious for a plugged HVAC drain tube. unfortunately, it's location to view from the outside is impossible due to the Unibody framework. the # 1 cause for the sloshing noise is the accumulation of water or Moisture in the housing. in time this will also cause a Musky smell when the a/c or heater is in use.this will eventually develop Mold in the evaporator and heater core that can lead to corrosion and it's inevitable failure. The Quick Remedy is to drill a hole through the HVAC drain housing from the passenger side. peel the forward portion of the carpet to access the round/ lowest area of the housing. Drill a 3/8inch hole through and use a coat hanger and air to blow the debris out of the drain tube. Moving Forward to the NO Heat , i would check the HVAC mode doors first before you condemn the heater core. it's more likely that the Blend door is either getting stuck or the pivot on the actuators are broken of.

ok since I am new to Jeeps could you tell me a basic way how to on checking the HVAC doors? I would love if I could return the part and save myself some $$$. and thank you guys for your help!

Switch the HVAC control to Panel, Check the floor and defrost vents for air flow. Switch to the Floor,Check the panel and defrost for air flow. Switch the Temp. setting from cold to hot and hot to cold.(If equipped with Dual zone) do this procedure on both sides. Did the doors fuction acording to the switch settings?. at any point in time during this test that the Air flow on the vents does not correspond to the Switch it was commanded to, then that confirms a fault on the actuator or the door.

ok did that and everything seems to be functioning properly. I just figured the lack of heat would be the heater core. Its blowing out air but the air its blowing isnt hot or even warm its almost completely cold air. My jeep when I first got it during the first few months of cold temps right up until id say the last week or so used to blow out some really good heat. It was good enough that I would keep it on low because it was so warm and now i have it on high and its just not blowing any kind of warm air whatsoever. I think I may try the drain thing and then replace the heater core and see if that helps if not then oh well I guess I have a new heater core lol.

you guys are awesome :p you guys happen to know if this fix will work with a 98 Grand Cherokee ??? i've had the same problem with my 98 GC and moved the carpet out in the same spot , but couldn't pinpoint exactly where the swimming pool on my passenger floor was coming from :rolleyes: i was on here to actually find some info on ANOTHER problem with my GC when i stumbled on this thread :D

alright thanks :)just wanted to be sure before i go ahead and try this fix and damage something :shock:

Back