\gh

erica

Attempting to repair a decent leak coming out of the forward quick disconnect fitting on my 94 Cherokee (auto trans). Went to a dozen different parts stores, and none had the fitting. Finally ended up at the dealer, got the fitting, put it in, and now the leak has turned into a gusher :x

By the time any of my friends are available to give me a ride up to the dealer, they'll be closed, and I really don't want to miss any more work.

Can I get a hose barb fitting or similar to fit into the trans, and just run a length of rubber hose to the existing cooler line until I can get the proper fitting to go in there?

Re: can I eliminate the trans line fittings?

I suggest, since you're prolly gonna get the wrong part at the dealer, that you take the old fitting and dremel out the inside of it where the hose would clip in. Then go to a small hardware store, and get a threaded pipe barb with an outer diameter on the threaded side that is slightly smaller than that of the inside of the fitting. JB weld it inside the fitting, and use a small length of trans hose to connect between the barb and the pipe that would normally clamp in...

Heck, it could work...

I use hoses and clamps on transmission lines all the time. I've never had one problem

Saurian said:
I suggest, since you're prolly gonna get the wrong part at the dealer, that you take the old fitting and dremel out the inside of it where the hose would clip in. Then go to a small hardware store, and get a threaded pipe barb with an outer diameter

Actually, I was thinking of finding a nice blue 4 door XJ, which had the same trans I do, and coincidentally also has properly sealing factory fittings which I will "borrow" for a while. How convienent that there will be such a specimen in the parking lot of my new job :grin:

Back